Online Schools with Health Unit Coordinator Programs: How to Choose
Health unit coordinators work in nursing homes and medical offices performing basic clerical and non-clinical functions. Most of the programs that prepare individuals for these types of jobs are offered in hybrid format, though the rare fully online program can be found.
How to Choose an Online School for Health Unit Coordinators
While several public and private colleges offer hybrid programs for prospective health unit coordinators, a few online, for-profit schools offer degree programs as well.
- Degree level and career goals
- Program format
Degree Level and Career Goals
Health unit coordinators can find entry-level positions with the completion of a diploma or certificate program. This provides the necessary knowledge and skills to begin work in a medical office. For those seeking management positions, or who wish to complete a degree in preparation for further studies in other areas, degrees in medical office administration are appropriate.
As with most degrees connected to the medical industry, health unit coordinator programs are not normally offered in fully online formats. Instead, most programs feature both online and on-campus courses. Online courses may include word processing, office skills and medical terminology, while health unit coordinator clinical experiences and some procedural courses are completed on-campus. Medical office administration degree programs offer fully online and hybrid formats. Students can compare online programs to determine the degree program that fits their schedule and meets their work needs.
Online Program Options for Health Unit Coordinators
Hybrid Health Unit Coordinator Technical Diploma or Certificate
These programs provide graduates with the clerical and communication skills to perform entry-level duties at offices, hospitals and labs. Online learners also complete on-campus clinical labs, as well as an internship. Online lectures are delivered using presentation slides and video tools. Typical courses include:
- Word processing
- Medical transcription
- Medical laws
Online Associate of Science in Medical Office Administration
Medical office administration is a general degree for those who will work in purely a secretarial position, as well as those who may assist doctors in a limited capacity with medical aspects of office work. Courses often include:
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy & physiology
- Medical reimbursement
- Medical coding
Related to Online Schools with Health Unit Coordinator Programs: How to Choose
- Recently Updated
Health unit coordinators, also called unit secretaries or ward clerks, perform administrative tasks in healthcare facilities,...
See our list of the top free online classes useful to health unit coordinators. Learn about what courses are available and what...
Health unit coordinators oversee the day-to-day operations and organization of healthcare facilities. Before individuals sit...
Learn about the curriculum and requirements of a diploma program for health unit coordinators. Find out about the employment...
- How to Become a Health Services Coordinator
- How to Become a Health Data Coordinator: Career Guide
- List of High-Paying Health Professions: Career Overviews
- Win $1000 with the Study.com Teacher Grant Program
- Loving Books and Staying Young: Study.com Speaks With Award-Winning Author Brian Katcher
- Best Free Instructional Supplement: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Commercial Architect: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Accessibility Coordinator: Job Description, Duties and Outlook
- Health Consequences College Students Should Consider Before Drinking
- Child Counselor: Career Information and Requirements
- Medical Laboratory Scientist: Salary, Requirements and Career Overview
- Dr. Angelia Paschal of Mississippi University for Women Speaks to Study.com