Students can complete online spa management courses as part of undergraduate degree or certificate programs in hospitality management, spa management or business. Because hands-on spa services are not taught in these courses, the programs may be completed entirely online.
Students interested in an undergraduate-level degree may earn a bachelor's degree in business with a resort and spa management concentration. Graduates of these programs can pursue careers managing spas, resorts, beauty salons or other related businesses.
Online Spa Management Courses
The descriptions below cover some of the most common types of online spa management courses and classes.
- Online Spa Industry Fundamentals Course: This course, often one of the first completed in an online spa or hospitality management program, introduces students to the industry. Students learn about the varieties of spa and hospitality businesses, as well as the services they provide. This course may offer insights into current industry practices, including effective business models and customer preferences.
- Online Spa Finance Course: Minimizing costs and maximizing profits without sacrificing customer satisfaction is essential in any spa or hospitality business. Students learn how to select vendors for essential supplies, create balanced budgets and maintain positive cash flow. The course helps students to analyze daily profit and loss statements in order to aid in both short- and long-term decision making.
- Online Spa Sanitation and Safety Course: Workplace safety and sanitation are not only good ideas, they're the law. Spa businesses must adhere to strict safety and sanitation practices as regulated by the state. Students study basic sanitation practices as well as the keys to running a clean and safe spa. Students identify potential safety hazards and develop plans to prevent them from impacting daily operations.
- Online Spa Marketing and Branding Course: Effectively marketing a spa and developing a brand are keys to long-term success. In this class, students learn how to identify customers, develop marketing and advertising plans and create a brand for a spa business. The class introduces students to a variety of marketing techniques and methods, including online and print advertising. This is an important course that is taken after students have been introduced to the basics of the industry.
- Online Hospitality Supervision and Management Course: Students will learn how to hire and retain quality food service professionals, massage therapists and other essential hospitality professionals. The course may provide an introduction to the human resources, customer service and decision-making skills needed for success in positions of spa and hospitality management. This course incorporates a theoretical study of management topics with the development of real-world problem solving skills. This is an advanced course, often completed near the end of a degree or certificate program.
- Online Hospitality Revenue Strategy Course: Students learn to to apply strategies that increase revenue in the hospitality setting. This course provides a distinction between strategic and tactical revenue management. The course also provides an in-depth examination of the tools managers need to drive revenue maximization and teaches students how to decide when it is appropriate to employ certain revenue management tactics.