Online Courses Related to TESL
The following descriptions are for commonly offered online TESL courses.
- Language Acquisition Course: Students learn to analyze the various ways in which language is learned. Emphasis is placed on those learning English as a second language. Students also discuss communication across cultures.
- Methods for TESL Course: Students are given an overview of classroom techniques and approaches for teaching English as a second language. This course covers curricula, lesson planning and basic language diagnostics.
- Assessing a Second Language Course: This course covers methods for evaluating language abilities in non-native English speakers. Students learn about concepts such as testing theory, interpretation and reliability of results.
- English Grammar and Syntax Course: The coursework provides a basic overview of the English language, with particular focus on sound, meaning and structure. Students also learn about usage, colloquialisms and written versus spoken language.
- Professional Seminar in Language Education: In this course, students develop their language teaching skills in a professional setting. International views of language acquisition and development may also be covered.
- Understanding Research in Education Course: This course will help students learn about research materials and their appropriate uses in the classroom. Some topics to be addressed include program evaluation and qualitative methods.
- Problems in Second Language Instruction Course: This online course will give students an idea about practical solutions for problems that arise in the context of second language learning. An emphasis is placed on obtaining sources of information to deal with those issues.
Distance education courses in TESL are geared toward professional educators who want to work with non-native English speakers. TESL courses often lead to certificates and can be offered through college and university continuing education programs. Online courses cover elements of language acquisition, testing and methods for teaching. Educators who earn a certificate can also transfer credits to a master's degree program in TESL where applicable. Graduate certificate programs are also available.
Students who want to study TESL online can do so through undergraduate and graduate certificate programs, as well as master's degree programs. Course topics include communication across cultures, how to evaluate second language learners, and classroom techniques.