Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Electromechanical Technologies
- Electronic Communications Engineering
- Instrumentation Technologies
- Laser and Optical Technologies
- Robotics Technologies
- Telecommunications Technologies
Online Courses in Telemetry
The online courses described below are commonly offered for the purposes of continuing education or for general medical knowledge.
- Medical Terminology Course: This introductory course is available to telemetry students new to the medical field and is offered early in the program. It reviews the fundamental medical jargon in common use in healthcare settings. Students learn the Latin roots, correct pronunciation and spelling of words that make up anatomical names, diagnoses and medical procedures.
- Basic ECG Strip Assessment Course: This continuing education course is geared towards healthcare professionals in need of a refresher on basic ECG interpretation. Topics include the recognition of fundamental ECG dysrhythmia patterns, including sinus, junctional, atrial, ventricular and heart block rhythms. Classes begin by illustrating the normal physiology of cardiac conduction and standard EKG waveform structure. Students then learn to differentiate between basic dysrhythmias and to explain the unique features of each dysrhythmia and the related treatments.
- Reading the 12 Lead ECG Course: This intermediate course is designed for health professionals with prior ECG interpretation training. Class modules focus on the monitoring and interpretation of various heart arrhythmias, including location-specific myocardial infarction, pericarditis and ventricular hypertrophy.
- Cardiac Stress Course: This course teaches students about stress testing, including assessments done before the test, protocols for conducting the test and the factors that would require halting the procedure.
- EKG Technician Course: This course will explore topics like heart anatomy and physiology, diseases and ethics. Additional topics include EKG machine fundamentals, patient care and EKG troubleshooting.
- Cardiovascular Master Course: In this course, students will be taught about how to diagnose heart disorders and conduct lifestyle assessments with patients. Topics include medications, tricuspid regurgitation and systolic heart failure.
Telemetry technicians perform diagnostic tests that evaluate the heart's condition by monitoring and recording the electronic charges transmitted while the heart beats and rests. Based on the hands-on nature of the work, training in telemetry is typically offered in a classroom setting or through workplace-based programs. However, individual courses through certification programs are available. Successful completion of an accredited telemetry technician program qualifies candidates to take the national Certified Cardiac Technician (CCT) or Certified Rhythm Analysis Technician (CRAT) exam given by Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI).
Professional continuing education courses, however, are more commonly offered online. These courses are for nurses and other licensed healthcare providers who need to have education in telemetry.
Online telemetry courses are available through standalone classes and certificate programs. Students will study topics like medical terminology, cardiac stress and ECG training.