Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Animal Behavior
- Animal Physiology
- Wildlife Biology
Online Courses in Wildlife Biology
Below are some of the wildlife biology courses that can commonly be found online.
- Wildlife Ecology and Conservation Course: This course teaches students about the relationship between animals and their environments. It includes a focus on ways to maintain, preserve and protect natural habitats and endangered species. Students learn about international conservation issues and issues facing wildlife at local and global levels.
- Ornithology Course: Students in this course study the behavior and environments of many types of wild birds. Topics include bird anatomy and physiology as well as the ecological requirements for a successful bird habitat. The course also explores how birds adapt to different environments.
- Ichthyology Course: This class focuses on the natural history, taxonomy, anatomy and evolution of fishes. Topics include watershed hydrology and fisheries science.
- Mammalogy Course: A mammalogy course focuses on the biology of mammals throughout evolutionary history. Students learn characterizations and classifications of mammals. The class also explores the significance of mammals to various ecosystems.
- Marine Mammal Biology and Conservation Course: This course focuses on the behavior, diet, and biogeography of mammals that live underwater. It covers adaptations to marine life, reproduction, migration, methods of communication, relationships between humans and marine mammals, and conservation efforts.
- Hunter Education for Instructors Course: In this course, students learn how to teach state hunter education. This includes shooting responsibility as well as coexisting with nature and wildlife.
- Park Management Course: Students examine the purposes and uses of local, state and national parks in this course. Professions within park services are also addressed as are various park organizations.
Wildlife biology involves the study of wild animals and the ways that they interact with their habitats. Wildlife biology courses can be offered as part of bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree programs. Standalone courses, online diplomas and graduate certificates are also offered. Participants study various aspects of animals in their natural settings, and fieldwork in remote locations is often a necessary component of education. For this reason, fully online programs are rare. However, students can complete some online courses concerning fundamental concepts and theory that can be expanded upon by experience in the field later. Graduating with a degree in wildlife biology can lead to occupations such as wildlife biologist or zoologist.
Online wildlife biology courses are available via individual classes, diplomas and graduate certificates, as well as bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs. Coursework can cover subjects like park management, ornithology, wildlife ecology and conservation, and mammalogy.