Optician Assistant Training and Degree Program Information
Optician assistant certificate programs are vocational programs offered through community colleges and technical schools. They are primarily designed to provide students with the practical training necessary to help clients pick frames or contact lens.
Students enrolled in an optician assistant certificate program examine the basics of eye anatomy and physiology. They learn to take instruction from opticians and provide customer assistance. Many programs include courses in sales and customer relations. Specific tasks may include recommending lens coatings, frames and types of lenses.
- Program Levels in Optician Assisting:Certificate
- Prerequisites: High school diploma or GED
- Other Requirements:High enough scores on the SAT or ACT
Optician Assistant Certificate Programs
These programs are likely to include courses with practical, step-by-step instruction for working in a laboratory, fitting frames and working with customers. Some specific courses include:
- Ophthalmic optics
- Ocular anatomy
- Optical laboratory techniques
- Contact lens instrumentation
- Frame fitting and selection
- Glasses components
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
Opticians are responsible for selling glasses and contact lenses. According to PayScale.com, optical assistants made a yearly salary ranging between $17,495 and $34,605 in October 2013. The job outlook for opticians and ophthalmic laboratory technicians is projected to grow by 13% from 2010-2020. A large percentage of the population is entering their senior years and will need assistance (eyeglasses) in order to see properly, creating jobs for opticians and ophthalmic laboratory technicians (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov).
To move up in the field from optician assistant to optician, individuals might consider completing an associate's degree program in opticianry. Additionally, 22 U.S. states require opticians to gain licensure by passing either a state examination or an examination given by the American Board of Opticianry (ABO).
Related to Optician Assistant Training and Degree Program Information
- Recently Updated
Find out what an optician assistant does. Learn about the training and skills, in addition to the expected salary and...
Students interested in opticianry can earn an Associate of Applied Science with an opticianry concentration online. These...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a dispensing optician. Get a quick view of the requirements as well...
Learn about education programs for those aspiring to become orthopedic assistants. Find out about professional certification in...
- Radiology Assistant Training Program and Career Information
- Customer Service Manager: Job Description & Requirements
- Customer Service Consultant: Job Description and Requirements
- Casino and Gaming Bachelor's Degree Overview
- Naval Architecture PhD Program Overviews
- Environmental Health Jobs: Options and Requirements
- Community Counseling Degree Program Overviews