In 1875, Pasadena, CA was established by people from Indiana seeking a more hospitable climate. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the population of Pasadena in 2015-2016 was 137,122. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the unemployment rate in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), which includes Pasadena, was 5.1% as of February 2016.
The State of California Employment Development Department (EDD) doesn't provide employment statistics for the City of Pasadena. It does provide statistics for the County of Los Angeles, which includes Pasadena. In 2016, the EDD noted that the following were among the largest employers in Los Angeles County, in no particular order:
- AHMC Healthcare, Inc.
- California State University
- Kaiser Permanente
- Children's Hospital
- UCLA Health System
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center
- LAC & USC Medical Center
- Los Angeles County Sheriff
- Los Angeles Police Department
According to the EDD, the following are projected to be among the fastest-growing jobs in Los Angeles County over the 2012-2022 decade.
- Personal Care Aides
- Home Health Aides
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Postsecondary Health Specialties Teachers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Helpers - Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons and Tile and Marble Setters
- Physical Therapist Aides