Philadelphia, the largest city in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, is one of the oldest cities in the United States. In addition, it is an important economic center. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had a civilian workforce of almost 3.1 million and an unemployment rate of 4.5% in January of 2016.
For the 2nd quarter of 2015, the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry (PDLI) found the following to be the top 10 largest employers in Philadelphia County.
- City of Philadelphia
- Federal Government
- Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania
- School District of Philadelphia
- The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Temple University
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
- US Airways, Inc.
- Drexel University
The PDLI projected that the following will be among the fastest-growing occupations for the Pennsylvania part of the Philadelphia MSA over the 2012-2022 decade.
- Home Health Aides
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Personal Care Aides
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Software Developers, Systems Software
- Medical Secretaries
- Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
- Computer User Support Specialists