Phoenix is the most populated of any United States capital, according to the Washington Post. Located in Maricopa County, the city is also the 5th largest city in the United States. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) found that the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had a civilian labor force of almost 2.2 million and an unemployment rate of 4.6% in January 2016.
According to the Greater Phoenix Economic Council, the following are the top 10 largest employers in the Phoenix area as of 2016.
- Banner Health
- Wells Fargo
- Fry's Food & Drug Stores
- Intel Corp.
- Bank of America
- JP Morgan Chase & Co.
According to the Arizona Department of Administration, Employment and Population Statistics (ADOA-EPS) the following are projected to be among the fastest-growing occupations in the Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale region over the 2012-2022 decade.
- Construction Managers
- Claims Adjusters, Examiners and Investigators
- Cost Estimators
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Civil Engineers
- Social and Human Services Assistants
- Paralegals and Legal Assistants
- Postsecondary Health Specialties Teachers
- Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education