School and Ranking Information
There are only two postsecondary institutions in Wichita that provide computer programming and related studies, with one of those being a for-profit school. Based on ranking, level of study and student population, the following university is considered a top Wichita school for computer programming degree studies:
- Winner: Wichita State University is the only public university in the city to award degrees related to computer programming. The university is also the only school in the area offering bachelor's and master's degrees in this field of study. Students can earn a Bachelor of Science or a Master of Science in Computer Science. A doctorate in electrical engineering and computer science is also offered.
School Info Chart
|Category||Wichita State University|
|Ranking||#130 (tie) Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs (2015)*|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $6,926 (in state); $14,960 (out-of-state)**|
|Computer Science Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees|
|Computer Science Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||2**|
|Most Popular Computer Science Degree in 2012-2013||Bachelor's (2 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||46%**|
|Noteworthy||Bachelor's degree program in computer science accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator; ***Wichita State University
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer Games and Programming Skills
- Computer Programming for Applications
- Computer Programming for Certifications
Wichita State University
- Co-op education opportunities available
- Provides access to modern computer and computer networking labs
- Students can join the student chapter of the Association of Computing Machinery
Wichita State University is composed of six academic colleges, including the College of Engineering. The Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department within that college offers three degree programs in computer science that include courses in computer programming.
Students in the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program learn about different programming languages, like C-, along with computer programming theory. The degree program also requires the completion of two electrical engineering project classes, plus others in logic, physics and mathematics.
In the Master of Science in Computer Science program, students may choose to undertake a thesis or a project, or they can opt for a courses-only plan. The difference between the options is the number of credit hours devoted to course work. The thesis option requires 24 credit hours and six credit hours devoted to the thesis; the project option requires 30 hours of courses and at least three hours in a directed project, and the courses-only option requires 36 credit hours.
In the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science program, students can pursue an area of specialization in computer networking, computer systems and architecture, or software systems, among others. Courses can be taken in programming languages, logic programming and software engineering.