Top Austin School Offering Psychology Degrees
Austin, TX, has few schools with programs in psychology. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
School and Ranking Information
There are very few schools in Austin, TX, with psychology programs. The following schools are considered the top three based on rankings, program levels available and number of degrees awarded in psychology:
- Winner: The University of Texas, located in Austin, is the top pick overall because of its national rankings from U.S. News & World Report, degree levels offered, number of awarded degrees and undergraduate graduation rate.
- Runner Up #1: St. Edward's University in Austin is the first runner up due to its regional ranking given by U.S. News & World Report, number of degrees awarded and overall graduation rate for undergraduates.
- Runner Up #2: Huston-Tillotson, located in Austin, got third place because of its high school counselor rating published by U.S. News & World Report and tuition rate.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Texas - Austin||St. Edward's University||Huston-Tillotson University|
|Ranking(s)||Graduate programs in psychology ranked #14*|
Named 46th best national university*
Ranked 13th best public national university*
|Ranked 17th among regional universities (West)*||Voted 256th best national liberal arts college by high school counselors*|
|Location||Austin, TX||Austin, TX||Austin, TX|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $9,790 (undergraduate, in-state)|
$33,128 (undergraduate, out-of-state)
$10,918 (graduate, in-state)
$20,790 (graduate, out-of-state)**
| $31,110 (undergraduate)|
|Psychology Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's degrees||Bachelor's degrees|
|Psychology Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in (2011-2012)||436**||105**||6**|
|Most Popular Psychology Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's Degree in General Psychology (336 awarded)**||Bachelor's Degree in General Psychology (103 awarded)**||Bachelor's Degree in General Psychology (6 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||81%**||68%**||20%**|
Sources: *2013 U.S. News & World Report rankings, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: University of Texas - Austin
- Three psychology programs accredited by the American Psychological Association
- Over 90% of freshmen returned to the university for a second year in 2011, according to NCES
Undergraduates seeking a degree in psychology can choose between a B.A. and a B.S., depending on their future career plans. The B.S. degree requires more science and math classes and is designed for those who plan to go to medical school or enter a health-related field. Those who plan to go to graduate school for psychology or begin working after finishing the undergraduate degree should opt for the B.A. degree. Students in the graduate psychology program have seven different concentrations to choose from for their doctoral degrees. Most of the options take about 4-6 years to complete, with the clinical psychology concentration taking slightly longer because of the internship requirement. A counseling psychology program is offered through the college of education that prepares students to become licensed and work as psychologists.
Runner-Up #1: St. Edward's University
- 90% of students received financial aid in 2010-2011, according to NCES
- General psychology was the school's second most popular major in 2011, according to USNWR
St. Edward's University is a Roman Catholic school with a large number of psychology students. The school only offers a bachelor's degree in psychology, but students are trained to do the type of research normally done only at the graduate level. Students first learn about the basics of psychology and then choose electives in forensic psychology, counseling, chemical dependency, or industrial/organization psychology. Choosing a concentration is not required, but students have the option to add a concentration in behavioral neuroscience. This concentration is particularly useful for those who plan to go into careers that require expertise in communication. The concentration requires additional science classes, psychology classes, and research experience. The school also offers a master's degree in counseling that prepares students to become licensed as counselors or marriage and family therapists.
Runner-Up #2: Huston-Tillotson University
- Ranked as one of the best national liberal arts colleges in 2013, according to USNWR
- Named one of the top historically black colleges and universities in 2013 by USNWR
Huston-Tillotson University is a small Methodist school that offers a bachelor's degree in psychology. Students take classes in human development, psychology theories, counseling, psychological disorders, and research methods. Students also choose electives in topics such as addiction, social psychology, conflict resolution, and human development. In the final two years of the program, all students work as interns in a profession related to psychology. The school also offers a minor in psychology that introduces students to the basic theories in psychology and human development. Students who wish to become licensed counselors or psychologists must complete a graduate-level program at another school.
Related to Top Austin School Offering Psychology Degrees
- Recently Updated
Well, it's all come down to this. The studying is done, the practice test is complete and the lessons are finished. It's the...
Things are coming down to the home stretch now. Time to step up the studying and really make these last lessons count! With...
Degrees in forensic psychology typically cover topics such as clinical, health, family and criminal psychology. Find out about...
A graduate certificate in general psychology can prepare a student with a bachelor's degree for further studies in psychology...
- Medical Psychology: Career Options, Job Duties and Requirements
- Sports Psychology: Courses and Training Program Information
- Positive Psychology: Career Options, Job Duties and Requirements
- Top Business Management Degrees in Santa Ana, CA
- Be a Network Operations Center (NOC) Technician
- Top School for E-Commerce & E-Business Management in Bakersfield, CA
- Game-Changer for Researchers: Study.com Speaks with Mendeley's Jessica Mezei
- Careers in Marketing Psychology: Options and Requirements
- Community Psychology: Career Options and Requirements
- Financial Consultant: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Biotech Project Manager: Job Duties and Education Requirements
- Most Interactive Free Online Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
Perfect School Search
- A - E
- F - N
- O - W
- Nearby States