A growing number of 2-year and 4-year schools across the country offer certificate and undergraduate degree programs for individuals wishing to become engineers, technicians, data analysts or managers in the field of renewable energy.
Schools with Renewable Energy Technology
These institutions offer programs in renewable energy technology.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition*|
|Northwest Michigan College||Traverse City, MI||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$6,163 In-state Undergraduate; $7,902 Out-of-state Undergraduate|
|Heartland Community College||Normal, IL||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$8,250 In-state Undergraduate; $12,240 Out-of-state Undergraduate|
|Santa Clara University||Santa Clara, CA||4-year, Private||Certificate, Master's||$45,300 Undergraduate; $26,541 Graduate|
|Oregon Institute of Technology||Klamath Falls, OR||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's||$8,838 In-state Undergraduate; $11,792 In-state Graduate|
|SUNY - Canton||Canton, NY||4-year, Public||Training program||$270** In-state Undergraduate per credit; $453** Out-of-state Undergraduate per credit|
|Illinois State University - Normal||Normal, IL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$13,666 In-state Undergraduate; $21,482 Out-of-state Undergraduate|
|Appalachian State University||Boone, NC||4-year, Public||Master's||$4,518 In-state Graduate; $17,060 Out-of-state Graduate|
|Lane Community College||Eugene, OR||2-year, Public||Associate's||$4,047 In-state Undergraduate; $9,213 Out-of-state Undergraduate|
Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES); **School Websites(2016-2017)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Energy Management Technologies
- Environmental Engineering Technologies
- Environmental Health Engineering
- Hazardous Materials and Waste Mgmt. Technologies
- Heating, Venting, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration
- Solar Energy Technologies
- Water Quality and Treatment Technologies
School Selection Criteria
There are several factors to consider when choosing a renewable energy technology school.
- Some programs have emphases in certain energy sources, like solar, wind, hydro, ocean-thermal, geothermal, etc.
- Certificates prepare students for entry-level positions while an associate's or bachelor's would quality graduates for higher-level positions.
- Look for faculty with experience in renewable energy technologies.
- Access to equipment such as solar labs and wind turbines may prepare students for fieldwork and eventual employment.
Renewable Energy Certificate
A renewable energy certificate prepares students for higher education courses or assists in getting them an entry-level position. A certificate program typically consists of about 12-15 credit hours.
Associate of Applied Science in Renewable Energy
An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) introduces students to classes that incorporate computer and electronic technology.
Bachelor of Science in Renewable Energy
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) is for students who want a more advanced education and preparation for a renewable energy technology career.
Renewable energy programs are offered at the certificate, associate's degree, bachelor's degree and master's degree levels; when choosing a program the first thing to consider is which degree level you plan to pursue. Reviewing the program course options can help determine which schools offer programs that are best suited to your interests.