Selecting Renewable Energy Technology Schools
A growing number of 2-year and 4-year schools across the country offer certificate and undergraduate degree programs for individuals wishing to become engineers, technicians, data analysts or managers in the field of renewable energy.
- Some programs have emphases in certain energy sources, like solar, wind, hydro, ocean-thermal, geothermal, etc.
- Certificates prepare students for entry-level positions while an associate's or bachelor's would quality graduates for higher-level positions.
- Look for faculty with experience in renewable energy technologies.
- Access to equipment such as solar labs and wind turbines may prepare students for fieldwork and eventual employment.
Overview of Renewable Energy Technology Education Programs
Renewable Energy Certificate
A renewable energy certificate prepares students for higher education courses or assists in getting them an entry-level position. A certificate program typically consists of about 12-15 credit hours. Coursework covers:
- Energy concepts
- Power systems
- Hybrid fundamentals
- Green building
Associate of Applied Science in Renewable Energy
An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) introduces students to classes that incorporate computer and electronic technology. Course topics may include:
- Computer information science
- Industrial electricity
- Automation and control electronics
- Fluid power systems
- Industrial controllers
Bachelor of Science in Renewable Energy
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) is for students who want a more advanced education and preparation for a renewable energy technology career. Lab coursework involves:
- Alternative energy technology
- Conservation principles
10 Schools with Renewable Energy Technology
|Northwest Michigan College||2-year, Public|
|Heartland Community College||2-year, Public|
|San Juan College||2-year, Public|
|Santa Clara University||4-year, Private|
|Oregon Institute of Technology||4-year, Public|
|SUNY - Canton||4-year, Public|
|Illinois State University - Normal||4-year, Public|
|Appalachian State University||4-year, Public|
|Lane Community College||2-year, Public|
|Bronx Community College||2-year, Public|