San Diego is the 2nd largest city in California and the 8th largest in the United States. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) notes The San Diego-Carlsbad Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had a civilian labor force of over 1.5 million with an unemployment rate of just 4.7% in January 2016. The BLS also notes that the unemployment rate for the State of California was 5.7% at the same time.
According to the San Diego Sourcebook of San Diego Source, the following are the top 10 largest employers in San Diego County in 2016.
- State of California
- University of California, San Diego
- Federal Government
- U.S. Department of Defense
- County of San Diego
- City of San Diego
- Sharp Healthcare
- Scripps Health
- San Diego Unified School District
- Kaiser Permanente San Diego Medical Center
The State of California Employment Development Department (EDD) reports that the following are expected to be the top 10 fastest growing jobs in the San Diego-Carlsbad Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) over the 2012-2022 decade.
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Personal Care Aides
- Marketing Research Analysts and Market Specialists
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Operations Research Analysts
- Cost Estimators
- Postsecondary Vocational Education Teachers
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Construction Laborers