San Francisco enjoys mild weather, exciting nightlife, and proximity to outstanding educational institutions. In 2015, in its Reader's Choice Awards, Condé Nast Traveler named San Francisco #2 in the category 'Best Big Cities in the United States'. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) enjoyed a civilian workforce of over 2.5 million and an unemployment rate of just 3.7% in February 2016.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
According to the San Francisco Business Times Book of Lists 2015, the following were the top 10 largest employers in the San Francisco Bay area at that time.
- Kaiser Permanente
- City and County of San Francisco
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, San Francisco
- Safeway, Inc.
- State of California
- Wells Fargo Bank
- U.S. Postal Service
- Stanford University
- United Airlines, Inc.
As reported by the Labor Market Information Division of the California Employment Development Department, the following are projected to be the top 10 fastest-growing occupations in the San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City Metropolitan Division (Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo Counties) over the 2012-2022 decade.
- Biomedical Engineers
- Personal Care Aides
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Interpreters and Translators
- Operations Research Analysts
- Information Security Analysts