Histology technician programs are available for students seeking a certificate or an associate degree in the field. These programs are often found at community and technical colleges through their health sciences and health care education divisions.
Schools with Histology Technician Programs
Students can train to become histology technicians at these schools:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degree Offered*||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Darton State College||Albany, GA||4-year, Public||Certificate||$3,395 in-state, $9,740 out-of-state|
|Harcum College||Bryn Mawr, PA||2-year, Private not-for-profit||Associate||$22,060|
|Houston Community College||Houston, TX||2-year, Public||Associate||$1,632 in-district, $3,360 in-state, $3,756 out-of-state|
|Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences||Rochester, MN||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Certificate||$6,600**|
|University of North Dakota||Grand Forks, ND||4-year, Public||Certificate||$7,965 in-state, $18,899 out-of-state|
|Keiser University||Orlando, FL||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Associate**||$17,664|
|Barry University||Miami, FL||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Bachelor's**||$28,800|
|Mt. San Antonio College||Walnut, CA||2-year, Public||Associate**||$1,348 in-state, $7,960 out-of-state|
|Phoenix College||Phoenix, AZ||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate||$2,046 in-state, $7,830 out-of-state|
Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics, **School website
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Blood Bank Specialist
- Clinical Genetic Technologist
- Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- Hematology Technician
- Histologic Technician
- Histological Technologies
- Medical Laboratory Technologies
- Ophthalmic Laboratory Tech
- Renal and Dialysis Technician
School Selection Criteria
Here are some relevant considerations for students trying to choose a program in this field:
- Find out if the program has been accredited by the National Accrediting Agency of Clinical Laboratory Science. Graduates of such programs are eligible to sit for the certification examination administered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), which improve career prospects.
- Get more information about the clinical experience opportunities offered through the program.
- If you are looking at associate degree programs, find out if credits can transfer into bachelor's degree programs in the future.
Certificate for Histology Technicians
A certificate program for histology technicians may be completed by individuals who currently hold an associate or bachelor's degree in a science or clinical laboratory study area. Certificate programs may be taken as 1-year programs.
Associate Degree for Histology Technicians
Associate degree programs in histology technology can typically be completed in two years of full-time study. Clinical experiences such as practicums, externships or internships may be mandatory.
Through classroom coursework and clinical training, undergraduate programs for aspiring histology technicians can prepare students for certification and an entry-level job in the field.