Programs focusing specifically on satellite service installation are quite rare. However, students can pursue a certificate in electronics telecommunications or an associate's degree in electronics technology to receive training in satellite installation and repair.
Schools with Electronics Technology Programs
This list of colleges identifies some schools offering electronics technology programs.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)|
|Tidewater Community College||Norfolk, VA||2-year, Public||Certificate||In-state $5,171; Out-of-state $11,009|
|College of Marin||Kentfield, CA||2-year, Public||Program||In-state $1,488; Out-of-state $9,258|
|St. Louis Community College||Saint Louis, MO||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-district $3,090; In-state $4,470; Out-of-state $6,150|
|Laredo Community College||Laredo, TX||2-year, Public||Certificate||In-district $3,410; In-state $4,610; Out-of-state $5,858|
|Southwest Tennessee Community College||Memphis, TN||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-state $3,963; Out-of-state $15,363|
|Salt Lake Community College||Salt Lake City, UT||2-year, Public||Certificate||In-state $3,569; Out-of-state $11,337|
|San Diego City College||San Diego, CA||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-state $1,142; Out-of-state $4,670|
|Virginia Western Community College||Roanoke, VA||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-state $4,713; Out-of-state $10,551|
|Erie Community College||Buffalo, NY||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-state $5,189; Out-of-state $9,784|
Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES); School websites
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Appliance Installation and Repair
- Communications Systems Services
- Computer Installation and Repair
- Electronic Equipment Repair
- Industrial Electronics Repair and Maintenance
- Office Machine Repair
- Security System Technology
School Selection Criteria
These are some important considerations when selecting a satellite installation program.
- Curriculum that includes satellite dish technology, signal transmission, integrated systems and satellite receivers which would benefit satellite installers.
- Practical experience such as real-world practice or internship opportunities.
- Certification through organizations such as the Electronics Technicians Association (ETA International) that could bolster an individual's professional qualifications and lead to additional employment opportunities.
- An associate's degree can be applied towards a bachelor's degree.
Certificate or Diploma in Electronics Telecommunication
Certificate programs in electronics telecommunication can be completed in two or three semesters. Basic coursework in AC and DC circuits, computer systems and electronic communication systems are commonly included. Students may explore subjects such as telecommunication reception and transmission, as well as installation techniques. Programs in electronics technology commonly combine electronic and computer courses.
Associate Degree in Electronics Technology
Associate degree programs can be completed in two years and commonly include general education courses, which students may transfer to bachelor's degree programs. Internship experiences may be available at this level.
It is possible to pursue a career in satellite installation by completing a certificate, diploma, or associate's degree in electronics technology. These programs will cover a wide range of skills beyond satellite installation, and should provide graduates with additional career options.