Top School in Orlando for a Software Programming Degree
Few schools in the Orlando, FL, area have top ranking software programming programs. Read on to find out more about what one of these top schools has to offer in this field of study, as well as tuition and degree information.
School and Ranking Information
While there are no schools located directly in or near Orlando that have studies in software programming, students can find programs at colleges and universities about 50-65 miles from the city. Based on ranking, student population and student-to-faculty ratio, the following institution is considered a top school in the Orlando area for software programming degree programs:
- Winner: The Florida Institute of Technology enrolls more students and offers the lowest student-to-faculty of all nonprofit and for-profit schools providing software programming studies in the Orlando area. In addition to bachelor's and master's degree programs in software engineering, students can also find software programming courses within 4-year and master's degree programs in computer science, a master's degree program in computer information systems and a doctoral degree program in computer engineering.
School Info Chart
|Category||Florida Institute of Technology|
|Ranking||#173 (tie) Best National Universities (2015)*|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $36,020**|
|Software Programming Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||54%**|
|Noteworthy||Named one of the top technological institutions in the U.S. by Fiske Guide to Colleges***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator; ***Florida Institute of Technology
The Florida Institute of Technology
- 9:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- ProTrack co-op program in the College of Engineering allows students to combine work experience with online coursework
- Accelerated bachelor's/master's degree programs available in software engineering, computer science, computer engineering and computer information systems
Florida Institute of Technology (Florida Tech) is located approximately 55 miles from Orlando. It offers more than 180 degree programs. The College of Engineering offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering, Master of Science in Computer Science, Master of Science in Computer Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Engineering for those pursuing training in software programming.
Consisting of 127 credits, the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Computer Science program includes training in software design, development and testing. Students learn about software development techniques and theories, information management, networks and artificial intelligence. Topics include software development fundamentals, computer organization and machine programming, second language programming, programming languages concepts, operating systems and analysis of algorithms.
The B.S. in Software Engineering program trains students in the design, implementation and troubleshooting of software. Designed to be interdisciplinary, the curriculum covers mathematics, computer science, engineering economics, problem solving, quality control and safety. Topics discussed include discrete mathematics, software development, computer organization, machine programming, operating systems, formal languages and automata theory. Students participate in software development projects in their senior year.
Consisting of a minimum of 30 credit hours, the Master of Science (M.S.) in Software Engineering program covers software engineering, software testing and software metrics and modeling. Software testing is an available specialization. Students have the option of either a thesis or final examination.
Previous courses in integral calculus, statistics, algorithms and data structures are required for entry into the 30-credit M.S. in Computer Science program. Students have the option of completing a thesis or taking advanced elective courses, but they are required to take either a computer science seminar or internship. Courses include formal languages and automata theory, design and analysis of algorithms, computer networks, artificial intelligence and computer theory.
The M.S. in Computer Information Systems program focuses on object-oriented design and analysis, component engineering and data-driven systems. Applicants must have a background in math beyond college algebra but aren't required to hold a bachelor's degree. Course requirements include a capstone course in computer information systems projects, advanced programming, operating systems and computer organization.
The Ph.D. in Computer Engineering program requires 48 credits beyond the master's degree level. Students perform 24 credit hours of coursework and 24 of research for their dissertation. The program focuses on research and the solving of engineering problems instead of a formal course of study. Students need to publish an article in a professional journal. They must also participate in a yearly seminar to prove progress.
Related to Top School in Orlando for a Software Programming Degree
- Recently Updated
Computer programmers require some formal education. Learn about the educational options, job duties and employment outlook...
Students interested in studying software programming in Washington, D.C., have about nine schools to choose from. Read about...
Computer software programmer courses are available online at a variety of technical schools and colleges. This article...
Students interested in studying software programming in Sioux Falls, SD, have few schools to choose from. Read about one top...
- Top School in Minneapolis for Computer Programming Courses
- Learn Computer Programming in the Blogosphere: 10 Top Computer Programming Blogs
- SAP Software Classes and Courses Overview
- Careers in Music: Training Requirements and Job Options
- Career Information for a Degree in Architecture
- Career Information for a Medical Office Management Degree
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Athletic Training
- List of Free Online Programming Courses and Classes
- Linux Programmer: Career Information & Requirements
- Career Information for a Degree in Christian Studies
- Student Coordinator Erika Williams Talks Alternative Spring Break with Study.com
- Roller Coaster Engineer: Job Description and Education Requirements
Perfect School Search
- B - L
- L - O
- P - W
- Nearby States