Top School in Jacksonville, FL, for Sonography Training
Jacksonville, Florida, has very few schools with programs in sonography. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' program offerings and tuition info.
School and Ranking Information
Students near Jacksonville, Florida, have only about three schools to choose from to study to become qualified sonographers. The top schools are:
- Winner: Mayo School of Health Sciences is the top school in the area based on employment statistics. In 2011, 100% of program graduates found jobs.
- Runner-Up #1: Dade Medical College boasts an 82% job placement rate for diagnostic cardiac sonography students and a 77% job placement rate for diagnostic medical ultrasound students in the 2011-2012 academic year.
- Runner-Up #2: Sanford-Brown Institute - Jacksonville reported that 45.83% of program graduates found jobs upon program completion.
The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredits all three schools mentioned above. Students who graduate from CAAHEP-accredited sonography programs and have 12 months of experience are qualified to sit for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) certification examinations. Cardiovascular sonographers can sit for Cardiovascular Credentialing International's (CCI) Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) exam. Although certification is not required to work as a sonographer in Florida, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics notes that most employers prefer to hire certified sonographers.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Mayo School of Health Sciences||Dade Medical College||Sanford-Brown Institute - Jacksonville|
|Location||Jacksonville, FL||Jacksonville, FL||Jacksonville, FL|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||2-year, private for-profit||2-year, private for-profit|
|Total Program Tuition & Fees||$25,840 (general vascular sonography certificate, 2013-2014)*||$47,050 (cardiac sonography associate's, no date given);|
$32,050 (diagnostic medical ultrasound associate's, no date given)**
|$37,775 (cardiovascular sonography associate's, no date given)***|
|Sonography Award Levels Offered||Certificate||Associate's degrees||Associate's degree|
|Sonography Certificates and Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in (2011-2012)||14****||0****||23****|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2008 Entering Class||N/A||N/A||59%****|
|Noteworthy||The Jacksonville campus has state-of-the-art ultrasound scanners for students to train on||Students learn through a mixture of lecture, laboratory and practical experience||Sanford-Brown provides career-assistance services|
Source: *Mayo School of Health Sciences, **Dade Medical College, ***Sanford-Brown Institute - Jacksonville, ****NCES College Navigator.
Winner: Mayo School of Health Sciences
- Specialty training is available in peripheral vascular, abdomen, gynecology and obstetrics sonography
- Students must fulfill prerequisites before starting the program, including holding an associate's degree and having patient care experience
The Mayo School of Health Sciences (MSHS) offers students in Jacksonville the opportunity to earn a certificate of completion in general vascular sonography. Although the classes are held at MSHS's main campus in Rochester, students in Jacksonville take didactic courses via video conferencing and complete clinical courses at the Jacksonville Mayo Clinic campus or at nearby medical facilities. Only 2 students are admitted per year to the Mayo program in Jacksonville (versus up to 8 in Rochester), and students might be required to attend 1-2 weeks of training at the Rochester campus. The certificate program is a full-time, 21-month program. Students have the opportunity to complete a collaborative Bachelor of Science in Health Professions from the University of Rochester.
Runner-Up #1: Dade Medical College
- Students can study cardiac sonography or diagnostic medical ultrasound
- All undergraduate students received grant or scholarship aid in 2011-2012, according to NCES
Students at Dade Medical College have the option of earning an Associate of Science in Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography or an Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound. Diagnostic medical ultrasound students focus on obstetrical, abdominal and gynecological ultrasound, while cardiac sonography students focus on cardiac imaging techniques, such as the echocardiogram.
Runner-Up #2: Sanford-Brown Institute - Jacksonville
- Minimum full-time completion time for cardiovascular sonography associate's degree program is 21.25 months
- 97% of first-time students receive financial aid in 2011-2012, according to NCES
The Associate in Science in Cardiovascular Sonography trains students to become cardiovascular technologists. Students work under the supervision of a physician while learning how to perform echocardiograms. Coursework includes EKG patterns, Holter monitoring, emergency protocols and arrhythmia recognition.
Related to Top School in Jacksonville, FL, for Sonography Training
- Recently Updated
Read on to learn what medical sonographers do. Find out what the career and training requirements are, and see the career...
Diagnostic medical sonographers assist physicians in diagnosing disease through the use of ultrasound technology. A number of...
Pittsburgh, PA, has few schools with programs in diagnostic medical sonography. Find the best program for you by reading about...
Learn about diagnostic medical sonography certificate programs. Find out about typical admission requirements and curricula for...
- Online Medical Sonography Degree Program Information
- Medical Sonography Associate Degree Program Information
- Career Information for a Degree in Medical Services
- Nursing Student Michelle Rex Wins Study.com's Textbooks for a Year Scholarship
- Careers for Integrative Biology Majors: Options and Requirements
- Top School for E-Commerce & E-Business Management in Bakersfield, CA
- Wisconsin (WI): Colleges and Universities Overview
Perfect School Search
- B - L
- L - O
- P - W
- Nearby States