Sterile Processing Technician Training Program Information
Sterile processing technicians ensure that all surgical tools and workstations are adequately sterilized for surgery and medical procedures. Several colleges and universities offer Central Sterile Processing Technician Certificate programs to prepare students for this career.
Sterile processing technician certificate programs provide students with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to maintain sterile medical environments. Students often participate in laboratory or clinical practice where they utilize training in sterilization and sanitization. Graduates with a year of full-time experience are eligible to test for certification as a Central Sterile Processing Technician.
- Program Levels in Sterile Processing Technician: Certificate
- Prerequisites: High school graduate, at least 17 years old, submission of recent physical examination, immunization records
- Other Requirements: Must obtain health or malpractice insurance prior to clinical courses, clinical courses
Certificate Program in Sterile Processing Technology
A certificate program in sterile processing provides students with introductory health sciences courses as well as practical training in sterilization techniques. Additionally, math and computer courses may be included in the curriculum. Most programs include a clinical practicum. Some examples of possible courses include:
- Medical terminology
- Human anatomy
- Infection and contamination control
- Surgical equipment identification
- Sanitation and sterilization
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), medical equipment preparation workers, in general, held approximately 50,550 positions across the country in 2014. More than 35,000 of these individuals worked in general medical and surgical hospitals. The annual median wage for the profession in May 2014 was about $32,260, per the BLS.
The Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) offers professional certification for graduates of an approved program with significant work experience. Certification through this board is valid for five years, and professionals must submit proof of continuing education to renew a certification. The CBSPD provides an approved course that meets continuing education requirements.
Related to Sterile Processing Technician Training Program Information
- Recently Updated
Read on to learn what sterile process technicians do. See what kind of education and training are required for employment. Get...
Sterile processing technicians play a vital role in healthcare, as they are the ones who maintain sterile medical instruments...
Get information on training programs and certifications for cardiovascular technicians. Learn about the educational and job...
Chemical laboratory technical degrees and training programs teach students how to develop chemicals and chemical products while...
- Pathology Technician Training and Education Program Information
- Online Respiratory Technician Training and Degree Program Information
- Dietary Technician Training Program Information
- Fashion Merchandising College Diploma Overview
- Associate in Architectural and Civil Engineering: Degree Overview
- Associate Degree in International Relations: Program Information
- Top Continuing Education Programs for Teachers - Indianapolis, IN