Students interested in a short program covering the foundations of electronics can enroll in certificate programs, which can be completed in a year or less. Diploma and associate degree programs can take up to two years to complete; however, they may offer more in-depth study of various electrical and computer systems, which could benefit students with career goals beyond television repair.
Schools with Electronics Technology Programs
Some electronics technology programs in the United States are offered at the institutions listed here.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Solano Community College||Fairfield, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $1,416; Out-of-state $7,386|
|Austin Community College||Austin, TX||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-district $2,550; In-state $9,210; Out-of-state $11,340|
|Spokane Community College||Spokane, WA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $3,388; Out-of-state $8,726|
|Glendale Community College||Glendale, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate||In-state $1,175; Out-of-state $5,855|
|New River Community College||Dublin, VA||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-state $4,352; Out-of-state $10,190|
|Mesa Community College||Mesa, AZ||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $2,046; Out-of-state $7,830|
|Hinds Community College||Raymond, MS||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $2,600; Out-of-state $5,200|
|Chattanooga State Community College||Chattanooga, TN||2-year, Public||Diploma||$5,105(2016-17 tuition)|
|Salt Lake Community College||Salt Lake City, UT||2-year, Public||Certificate||In-state $3,569; Out-of-state $11,337|
Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES); School websites
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Appliance Installation and Repair
- Communications Systems Services
- Computer Installation and Repair
- Electronic Equipment Repair
- Industrial Electronics Repair and Maintenance
- Office Machine Repair
- Security System Technology
School Selection Criteria
There are a number of factors to consider when selecting an electronics technology program.
- Electronics programs can be useful because companies may prefer employees with broad electronics repair knowledge concerning equipment such as home theater systems and DVD players.
- Individuals interested in self-employment or repair company ownership might want to consider enrolling in programs that offer business management, finance and accounting classes.
- Schools with up-to-date on-campus training facilities are recommended so students can familiarize themselves with circuits, wiring and digital electronics and programs that offer internship opportunities with local businesses could provide additional experience.
- Some schools offer the option of taking a one-year certificate program or a two-year associate's degree; associate's degree programs offer a wider range of courses that may help graduates qualify to work on other types of electronic devices.
Certificate in Electronics Technology
Certificate programs in electronics technology may be completed in as little as one semester. Basic electronics knowledge can be obtained through courses and laboratory experiences.
Diploma in Electronic Systems
Diploma programs in electronic systems may be completed in less than two years. Students may also have the opportunity to study more advanced concepts in electricity, such as motor controls and microcomputers.
Associate Degree in Electronic Engineering Technology
In associate degree programs, students begin to learn more about applications of electricity in computers, instruments and other technology. Independent projects and internship opportunities may be available at this level of study.
To learn the trade of television repair it is necessary to take a program in electronics technology. Electronics technology programs are available at the certificate, diploma, and associate's degree levels; the focus of these programs may vary and qualify graduates to work on repairs of other types of electronic devices based on the courses covered in the program.