School and Ranking Information
Memphis has a number of schools with business programs. The following schools are considered the top three based on rankings, degree levels offered and total number of degrees awarded in the field of study:
- Winner: University of Memphis in Memphis claims the top spot for its tuition rates and large number of degrees awarded in the field.
- Runner Up #1: Christian Brothers University, located in Memphis, is in second place for its multiple program level options in the field and for its regional ranking assigned by U.S. News & World Report in 2013.
- Runner Up #2: Rhodes College in Memphis makes the list as the second runner up for its graduation rate and high percentage of faculty who have the highest degree in their field.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Memphis||Christian Brothers University||Rhodes College|
|Ranking(s)||117th among best undergraduate business programs in 2012*||25th among regional universities in the South in 2013*||52nd among national liberal arts colleges in 2013*|
|Location||Memphis, TN||Memphis, TN||Memphis, TN|
|School Type||Four-year, public||Four-year, private not-for-profit||Four-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)||$7,904 (in-state, undergraduate), $22,616 (out-of-state, undergraduate); $9,092 (in-state, graduate), $20,270 (out-of-state, graduate)**||$27,290 (undergraduate), $18,655 (graduate)**||$38,092 (undergraduate)**|
|Business Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's degrees|
|Business Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in (2011-2012)||324**||120**||45**|
|Most Popular Business Program (2011-2012)||Master's in Business Administration and Management, General (144 awarded)**||Master's in Business Administration and Management, General (73 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Business Administration and Management, General (45 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||38%**||52%**||75%**|
|Noteworthy||Within the business department, almost 90% of faculty have doctoral degrees||The graduate business program boasts cohorts of 25 students or less||Internships are part of the academic coursework in business programs|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Accounting and Bookkeeping
- Business Economics
- Business Finance
- Business Management and Operations
- Business Marketing
- Business Support and Administrative Services
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development
- Hospitality Management
- Human Resource Management
- Information System Management
- International Business
- Sales and Merchandising
- Specialized Sales
Winner: University of Memphis
- Part-time MBA program ranked 101st by U.S. News and World Report in 2013
- Faculty at Fogelman College of Business won Academy of Management's Organizational Design and Change Division's Best Paper award in 2013
The Fogelman College of Business and Economics offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs across seven academic units in areas such as accounting, economics, management, marketing and finance. The college is home to educational centers like the Sparks Bureau for Business and Economic Research, Robert Wang Center for International Business and FedEx Center for Supply Chain Management. The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB) accredits its accounting and business programs. The school stated the business college had a 2012 enrollment of 3,076 in the bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs in five to nine concentrations, depending on the program.
Runner-Up #1: Christian Brothers University
- University's graduate business program was ranked 19th in 'Best for Vets' by the Military Times in 2013
- In 2013, three accounting students in the School of Business received scholarships through the Educational & Memorial Foundation of the Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants (TSCPA), Memphis chapter
Christian Brothers University (CBU) offers bachelor's degrees and master's degrees in areas such as business administration, international business or accounting. Students can join Delta Sigma Psi, the university's business student organization, while they pursue a bachelor's or master's degree. At the undergraduate level, the School of Business offers a Bachelor of Arts in Business or Bachelor of Science in Business Administration program. Students can minor in economics, finance or international business. They can also complete a concentration in finance, hospitality and tourism management, marketing, human resources management or management information systems. At the graduate level, students can pursue a Master in Business Administration (MBA), Master in International Business (MIB), combination MBA/MIB or Certificate in Project Management.
Runner-Up #2: Rhodes College
- In 2011, the NCES reported that 75% of students graduated within 150% of normal time (six years)
- According to the college, 96% of faculty members hold terminal degrees in their fields
Rhodes College is a four-year private not-for-profit college that offers bachelor's degrees in commerce and business or international business through the Department of Commerce and Business. The commerce and business major requires the completion of courses in cost and financial accounting, financial management and organizational management. The international business major requires completion of two years of a foreign language, and students must choose from courses in international financial management, strategy evaluation and adaptation, international marketing or international management. Students that opt to complete the honors program in commerce and business must complete a substantial research paper and oral exam.