School and Ranking Information
At least 14 schools near Clearwater have programs related to information technology. Most of the schools are for-profit universities. The top school in the area for information technology is a 4-year public school. Based on rankings, the following school is the top pick for studying IT near Clearwater:
- Winner : The University of South Florida serves more than 40,000 students yearly and is located roughly 23 miles from Clearwater. It was named one of the top 100 public schools in the nation in 2015. The university provides a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Information Technology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Information Technology. It also offers related programs, including a B.S. in computer engineering, an M.S in computer engineering and a Ph.D. in computer science and engineering.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer and Information Support Services, Other
- Information Science and Studies General
- Information Technology
- Robotics and Artificial Intelligence
School Info Chart
|Category||University of South Florida|
|Rankings||Tied for #88 in Top Public Schools (2015); #77 in Graduate Computer Engineering Programs (2014)|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2014-2015)||$6,410 (in-state), $17,325 (out-of-state)*|
|Information Technology Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, Master's|
|Information Technology Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||62**|
|Most Popular Information Technology Degree Level in 2013||Bachelor's**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||63%**|
|Noteworthy||Programs in information technology are also offered entirely online|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
University of South Florida
- Senior projects can be done in partnership with local businesses
- Undergraduates may also complete a minor in general IT or technical IT
- The Computer Science and Engineering department offers a 5-year combined bachelor's and master's degree
The University of South Florida (USF) is made up of four campuses in St. Petersburg, Sarasota-Manatee, Lakeland and Tampa; the Tampa campus is the main one. The Department of Computer Science and Engineering at USF offers degrees in information technology, computer engineering and computer science.
The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is designed to provide students with technical, problem-solving and communication skills so they have the capability to enter the workforce or pursue graduate study upon graduation. The Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering is a 128-hour program that focuses on computer hardware and software design. The program requires extensive lab work.
The Master of Science in Information Technology program requires coursework in topics like IT project design, IT database structures, object-oriented programming and IT software engineering. Both thesis and non-thesis options are available. Similarly, the Master of Science in Computer Engineering is a 30-credit program with both a thesis or non-thesis option. Students must complete coursework in computer architecture principles, operating systems and algorithm theory.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science and Engineering requires a minimum of 72 semester hours. Students must successfully complete coursework in algorithm theory, operating systems and computer architecture in the first year of enrollment. Students must also conduct original research on a computer science and engineering topic for their dissertation.