Top Culinary School - St. Louis, MO
Students interested in studying culinary arts in the St. Louis, MO, area have a number of schools to choose from. Read about the top local schools' degree programs, tuition and ranking info to find the right one for you.
School and Ranking Information
Fewer than 10 schools within 50 miles of St. Louis offer programs in culinary arts, and they include for-profit institutions and 2-year colleges. The top schools, based on institution type, program completion rates and tuition, are as follows:
- Winner: St. Louis Community College, a public institution, is the winning school as a result of how many certificates and degrees have been awarded, its accreditation and its location in the city of St. Louis.
- Runner Up #1: Jefferson College, a 2-year public school located in Hillsboro, secures first runner up on account of its tuition rates and on-campus housing availability.
- Runner Up #2: Southwestern Illinois College, a public school located in Belleville, IL, is the second runner up for its student-to-faculty ratio and up-to-date culinary facilities.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||St. Louis Community College||Jefferson College||Southwestern Illinois College|
|Location||St. Louis, MO||Hillsboro, MO (37.2 miles from downtown St. Louis)||Belleville, IL (21.8 miles from downtown St. Louis)|
|School Type||2-year, public*||2-year, public*||2-year, public*|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$2,670 (in-district),|
|Culinary Arts Award Levels Offered||Certificate; associate degree||Certificate; associate degree||Certificate; associate degree|
|Culinary Arts Certificates and Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||82*||13*||28*|
|Most Popular Culinary Arts Program (2011-2012)||Associate in Culinary Arts (56 awarded)*||Associate in Culinary Arts (12 awarded)*||Certificate in Culinary Arts (17 awarded)*|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2009 Entering Class||10%*||27%*||26%*|
|Noteworthy||The school offers professional development and continuing education courses in culinary arts||On-campus housing is available, which is rare among 2-year schools||The Career Services Center offers assistance with resumes, internships and job searches|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator
Winner: St. Louis Community College
- The hospitality studies program offers three options: hotel and restaurant, culinary arts and baking and pastry arts
- 80% of full-time beginning students and 56% of all students received grant or scholarship aid in 2011-2012, according to the NCES
- The school offers a new cake decorating certificate through the continuing education division
- The programs are accredited by the American Culinary Federation (ACF)
St. Louis Community College offers culinary arts and baking associate degree programs through the hospitality studies division. The Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts program includes coursework in sanitation, cost control, food preparation, global cuisine and restaurant operations, as well as two practicum experiences. The pastry and baking associate degree program explores baking theory, bread, cake production, ice cream and plated desserts. A certificate of proficiency in hospitality studies is also available, as well as continuing education certificates and courses in culinary arts.
Runner-Up #1: Jefferson College
- Program includes hands-on kitchen training
- Students have access to an Employment Services Office that can help them with resumes and interviewing techniques
- 91% of full-time undergraduate students received some financial aid in 2011-2012, according to the NCES
Jefferson College offers a 3-year, 67-credit culinary arts associate degree program that teaches students the fundamentals of restaurant management and culinary arts. Students can also complete 1-year or 2-year culinary arts certificate programs. In addition to business and culinary arts courses, students can choose from electives, including pastry, baking, first aid and CPR, professional cake decorating and ServSafe sanitation.
Runner Up #2: Southwestern Illinois College
- Culinary arts and food management programs accredited by the ACF
- Degree program and food service and management certificate includes internship
Southwestern Illinois College offers a 71-credit associate degree program in culinary arts and food management that prepares students for entry-level chef or restaurant management positions. Within the program, students examine baking, food costs, culinary nutrition, garde manger, menu development and business. Students complete two internship requirements as well.
The school also offers specialized certificate programs in food service, food service and management and culinary arts. Students have access to a food service kitchen equipped with up-to-date amenities, instructors with restaurant experience and a career center.
Runner-Up #3: East Central College
- 18:1 student-faculty ratio, according to the NCES
- Program is accredited by the ACF
- School offers a modern kitchen, cold room and bakeshop
East Central College offers a 1-year certificate in culinary arts, as well as a 2-year culinary arts associate degree program. The certificate program provides students with basic culinary preparation knowledge and skills. Certificate-seeking students complete courses in food costs, equipment identification, purchasing, baking and menu planning, as well as a culinary internship. The associate degree program includes all certificate courses and internships, as well as courses in kitchen management, recipe development, international cooking and catering.
Related to Top Culinary School - St. Louis, MO
- Recently Updated
Learn how to become a professional prep cook. Research the education, career requirements and on-the-job experience needed for...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a catering chef. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
Frat boys across the nation are likely to perk up their ears when they hear about a school that allows students to mix drinks...
Individuals can find a cooking class for virtually every type of cuisine available. Look at descriptions of a few of the common...
- Associate in Science (AS): Culinary Arts Degree Overview
- Online Culinary Courses and Classes Overview
- Job Description of a Corporate Chef
- Clinical Psychiatrist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Education and Experience: Study.com Speaks to a Military Veteran At Harvard Law
- Promoting Child Literacy: Study.com Speaks With the Carleton Caldecott Club
- Marine Chemist: Job Description, Duties and Salary
Perfect School Search
- Missouri Cities
- Nearby States
- Arnold, MO Schools
- Berkeley, MO Schools
- Cape Girardeau, MO Schools
- Columbia, MO Schools
- Earth City, MO Schools
- Fenton, MO Schools
- Independence, MO Schools
- Joplin, MO Schools
- Kansas City, MO Schools
- Kirksville, MO Schools
- Maryland Heights, MO Schools
- Maryville, MO Schools
- O'Fallon, MO Schools
- Saint Joseph, MO Schools
- Saint Louis, MO Schools
- Saint Peters, MO Schools
- Springfield, MO Schools
- Sunset Hills, MO Schools
- Warrensburg, MO Schools