While there are no colleges or universities found directly in San Diego that provide computer-aided design (CAD) related studies, there are a few options within 30 miles or so of the city. Based on distinction and student population, the following college is considered a top school in the San Diego area for design technology and CAD studies:
- Winner: Palomar College is located in San Marcos, approximately 30 outside of San Diego. The college is the largest public school in the area offering design technology and CAD drafting studies. Both certificate and degree programs are available through its Design and Consumer Education Department.
School Info Chart
|Location||San Marcos, California|
|School Type||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $1,328 (in-state); $5,472 (out-of-state)*|
|Design Technology and CAD Drafting Levels Offered||Certificate and associate's degree|
|Design Technology and CAD Drafting Certificates and Degrees Awarded in 2012-2013||22*|
|Most Popular Design Technology and CAD Drafting Level in 2012-2013||Certificate (12 awarded)*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||25%*|
|Noteworthy||Accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges|
Source: * NCES College Navigator.
- Seven off-campus sites offered throughout San Diego County
- Combines classroom lectures with hands-on studio work
Palomar College is a public, 2-year community college offering more than 300 full- and part-time programs leading to certificates and associate's degrees. A department focusing on drafting technology offers architecture, interior design and vocational education. The department offers associate's degree and certificate programs in various specializations; the former includes general education requirements while the latter focuses on core class topics.
Students can choose to earn a certificate or Associate in Arts in the following areas:
- Computer-assisted drafting
- Multimedia drafting technology
- Technical drafting technology
- Electro-mechanical drafting and design
In the CAD program, participants take classes in 3D design presentation, AutoCAD software, advanced algebra and computer applications. The multimedia drafting technology program ranges 31-33 units and focuses on digital and 3D design and modeling, as well as motion and animation. Students in the technical drafting technology program learn technical drawing, CAD and mechanical drawing. Classes in the electro-mechanical drafting and design program cover AutoCAD, SolidWorks, printed circuit-board design and technical mathematics.