Top Ranked Degree Programs in Biomedical Engineering - Houston, TX
Students interested in studying biomedical engineering in Houston, TX, have only a few schools to choose from. Read about one top local school's degree programs, tuition and ranking info to find the right one for you.
School and Ranking Information
Of the three schools that offer biomedical engineering degrees in the Houston area, one only offers advanced degrees in this field. Because of rankings, available facilities and research opportunities, the following school is the top pick for biomedical engineering degrees in Houston:
- Winner: The University of Houston offers undergraduate and graduate (master's and Ph.D.) programs in biomedical engineering, as well as research opportunities for undergraduate students.
School Info Chart
|Category||University of Houston|
|Rankings||#189 in National Universities (2015); #82 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs (2014)*|
|School Type||4-year; private; not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2014-2015)||Undergrad: $10,518 (in-state); $24,378 (out-of-state)*|
|Biomedical Engineering Degrees Offered||Bachelor's; Master's; Doctorate|
|Biomedical Engineering Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||25**|
|Most Popular Biomedical Engineering Degree Level in 2013||Bachelor's (21 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||48%**|
|Noteworthy||The College of Engineering spends over $22 million dollars a year on research***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***University of Houston
University of Houston
- The master's degree program in biomedical engineering is offered in both a thesis and non-thesis format
- The Department of Biomedical Engineering has a close relationship with Texas Medical Center, which is the world's largest medical center
- Undergraduates complete an advanced senior design project that allows them to apply their skills to practical applications
With a student population of roughly 40,000 individuals, the University of Houston is the largest institution within the University of Houston System. The university was established in 1927, and it now offers over 300 programs at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
The undergraduate biomedical engineering program allows students to choose from one of three options--biomedical analysis and design, biomolecular, or neural engineering. Each track provides entry-level students with a strong foundation in biological science, chemistry, physics and calculus. Advanced courses cover biomechanics, circuit analysis, engineering mathematics and tissue engineering.
The Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering program is either 30- or 36-credit hours, depending on whether students choose the thesis or non-thesis track. Master's students must choose a concentration, such as biomedical imaging or rehabilitation and neural engineering.
Students may enter into the biomedical engineering Ph.D. program with either a bachelor's or a master's degree. Students who have a master's degree are required to complete fewer core, elective and mathematics courses than students who only have an undergraduate degree. All students are required to complete 30 credit hours conducting research and writing a dissertation. Ph.D. students must pick a degree concentration as well.
Related to Top Ranked Degree Programs in Biomedical Engineering - Houston, TX
- Recently Updated
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a biomedical engineering technologist. Get a quick view of the...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a biomedical engineer. Get a quick overview of the requirements -...
Learn about two top graduate schools that offer programs in biomedical engineering. Find information about program offerings,...
Learn about biomedical engineering programs at the associate's level. Explore program requirements and potential coursework...
- Biomedical Engineering Technician: Job Duties & Career Info
- Top University in Elk Grove, CA, for Becoming a Biomedical Engineer
- Top Degree Programs in Biomedical Engineering - Fremont, CA
- 10 Questions Community College Students Should Ask Their Advisor
- High School Calculus Teacher Incorporates Free Online Videos Into Flipped Classroom Method
- Freshmen Tips: Start Going to Your School's Career Office Now
- Venture Capital Firm Invests in Innovative Education Companies
Perfect School Search
- A - E
- F - N
- O - W
- Nearby States