Top Ranked Substance Abuse Counseling Degrees - Chicago, IL
Chicago has many schools with substance abuse counseling programs. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' program offerings and tuition info.
Several schools in the Chicago area, mainly 2-year colleges, provide programs focusing on substance abuse counseling. Based on distinction and level of study, the following school is considered a top school in Chicago for substance abuse counseling programs:
- Winner: The Adler School of Professional Psychology in Chicago is the only postsecondary institution in or within 25 miles of the city to award a doctoral degree relating to substance abuse counseling. It is one of two public institutions located directly in Chicago that offer counseling studies. Students can earn a Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) in Clinical Psychology. It also has a postgraduate certificate program in substance abuse counseling.
School Info Chart
|Category||Adler School of Professional Psychology|
|Ranking||Oldest independent school of psychology in North America*|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Graduate: $38,580**|
|Substance Abuse Counseling Programs Offered||Postgraduate certificate and doctoral degree|
|Substance Abuse Counseling Certificates and Degrees Awarded in 2012-2013||73**|
|Most Popular Substance Abuse Counseling Level in 2012-2013||Doctoral (65 awarded)**|
|Noteworthy||Certificate program in substance abuse counseling accredited by the Illinois Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Association, Inc.; doctorate program in clinical psychology accredited by the American Psychological Association|
Sources: *Adler School of Professional Psychology; **NCES College Navigator
Adler School of Professional Psychology - Chicago
- Provides year-long internship opportunities
- Substance abuse counseling programs incorporate coursework with labs and seminars
- Credits earned in a master's degree program may be transferable to the Psy.D. program
The Adler School of Professional Psychology is a 4-year, non-profit, private college offering graduate degree and post-master's certificate programs. Based on the philosophy of psychologist Alfred Adler, the school was founded in 1952. Students can earn a post-baccalaureate certificate in substance abuse counseling or a Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology, which offers a substance abuse counseling concentration.
Students can complete the Substance Abuse Counseling Certificate program by itself or they can take it along with a degree program. Students learn to provide alcohol and other drug abuse treatment, intervention and prevention. The program requires courses in issues and ethics in professional development, addictive disorders and treatment of these disorders. Students participate in a yearlong substance abuse practicum as well as two semesters of a practicum seminar. The capstone experience of the program is a case study, which students create and present to their peers.
In the Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology program, students develop core competencies in assessment, intervention, relationship, research, consultation, management and diversity. The 114-credit-hour program can be completed in five years. It requires the completion of a clinical practicum, community service, an internship and a doctoral dissertation. Students may complete a Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology on their way to achieving their doctorate by completing particular courses, a practicum and a qualifying examination.
Related to Top Ranked Substance Abuse Counseling Degrees - Chicago, IL
- Recently Updated
Online coursework in substance abuse counseling can be taken as part of a bachelor's or master's degree program or to gain...
Substance abuse therapists assist those with addictions, through government and social service agencies, hospitals, schools and...
Although requirements vary from state to state, online substance abuse counseling certificate programs typically prepare...
Learn about degree programs in substance abuse counseling, through which students learn how to help people who are addicted to...
- Graduate Degree Programs in Substance Abuse Counseling: Program Options
- Substance Abuse Counseling Degrees by Program Level
- Alcohol Counseling: Job Duties & Requirements
- 10 Great Study Abroad Locations for Science and Engineering Students
- 20 Bad High School Habits That Don't Belong in College
- Mozilla's Open Badges Poised to Disrupt Higher Ed
- Neonatology Physician Assistant: Salary and Career Information
Perfect School Search
- A - C
- D - N
- N - W
- Nearby States