School and Ranking Information
All of the schools near Greensboro that offer degrees relating to database engineering are public institutions. These schools don't offer programs in database engineering directly, but they offer related coursework with programs in computer science and information technology. Based on its internship opportunities and regional ranking, the following school is considered a top school for database engineering in the area:
- Winner: Winston-Salem State University is a 4-year, public school that offers a wide variety of programs with database-related courses. It offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and a Master of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology.
|Category||Winston-Salem State University|
|Rankings||#25 (tied) Top Regional Public Schools in the South (2014)**|
|Location||Winston-Salem, North Carolina (approximately 26 miles from Greensboro)|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||$5,468 (in-state); $14,281 (out-of-state)*|
|Computer Science and Information Technology Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, Master's|
|Computer Science and Information Technology Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||26*|
|Most Popular Computer Science and Information Technology Degree Program Level in 2012-2013||Bachelor's (10 awarded)*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||46%*|
|Noteworthy||Department of Computer Science partners with many industries that offer on-the-job training***|
Source: *NCES College Navigator, **U.S. News & World Report, ***Winston-Salem State University
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer Graphics
- Database Administration and Data Warehousing
- Web Page and Digital Design
Winston-Salem State University
- Multiple professional societies available to students, such as the Association for Computing Machinery and the Computer Society
- Department of Computer Science incorporates laboratory activities and undergraduate research experiences into programs
- Graduate program helps develop leadership and communication skills, which are needed in the government sector
Winston-Salem State University is a historically black university that was founded in 1892. U.S. News & World Report ranked this university #15 (tied) among the Best Historically Black Colleges and Universities in 2015. It has a student population of 5,399 as of 2014.
The university offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program, which teaches about the design and development of computer programs and software systems. Electives include computer graphics, e-commerce and database administration. Core coursework includes programming languages, data structures and algorithm analysis. The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology offers training in digital circuits and networks. Topics include operating systems, Internet systems, hardware organization and Web programming.
Students can also earn a Master of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology. A lot of classes in this program are offered in the evening. A thesis or an exam option can be taken, and students must complete a 9-semester-hour core in computer science. They may also choose a 9-semester-hour concentration in either computer science or information technology. Topics in the core coursework include advanced database management, database systems design, operating systems and advanced computer architecture.