Top University in Pittsburgh for a Computer Science Major
Students interested in studying computer science in Pittsburgh have only a few schools to choose from. Read about the top school's degree programs, ranking and tuition info to help you decide on the school for you.
School and Ranking Information
There are only about four schools in Pittsburgh that offer degrees in computer science, and all these schools are 4-year non-profit institutions. Based on rankings, program offerings and student services, the following school is regarded as the top area school for studying computer science:
- Winner: Carnegie Mellon University is a nationally-ranked 4-year private non-profit institution that has a top-ranked program in the field. The university offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in computer science.
School info Chart
|Category||Carnegie Mellon University|
|Rankings||#1 for Graduate Computer Science (2014)*; #25 for National Universities (2015)*|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||$47,642**|
|Computer Science Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate|
|Computer Science Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||186**|
|Most Popular Computer Science Degree Level in 2013||Bachelor's (156 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||88%**|
|Noteworthy||CMU offers the Computer Club for students to join|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Carnegie Mellon University
- Undergraduate computer science students may conduct research through independent study or through the undergraduate research thesis program
- Students in the computer science master's program get to design much of their degree plan
- The Ph.D. program does not require a master's degree, and applicants can hold an undergraduate degree in any field
Carnegie Mellon University has a campus covering more than 140 acres right in the city of Pittsburgh. The school enrolls around 12,400 students, with about half being graduate students. Carnegie Mellon has a low student-to-faculty ratio of 10 to 1.
The Computer Science Department offers a Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and Ph.D. in Computer Science. Some required bachelor's courses in computer science examine algorithms and computer systems. BS students must also pick up either a minor or additional major. The MS program usually takes three semesters to finish and does not have a set curriculum, but instead is largely determined by the student. The program has a total of three breadth requirements, including artificial intelligence, systems and a theoretical area. The Ph.D. program takes approximately six years to complete. Students may complete courses in advanced artificial intelligence, algorithms and networking. Degree requirements also include completion of teaching assistant duties and a research-based doctoral dissertation.
Related to Top University in Pittsburgh for a Computer Science Major
- Recently Updated
Want to learn computer programming code without having to sit through classes? Codecademy offers several programming courses...
See our list of the top free online computer science courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a computer science teacher. Get a quick view of the requirements as...
Learn how to become a computer science engineer. Research the job description and the education requirements and find out how...
- Associate of Computer Science: Degree Overview
- Doctor of Computer Science: Degree Overview
- Doctorate of Computer Science: Degree Overview
- Network Security Specialist: Job Description and Requirements
- An Athlete, a Scholar and a Leader: Study.com Speaks with Sam Acho
- Connecting People With Knowledge: Study.com Speaks With an Academic Librarian
- Dr. Karli Peterson Talks About Educating the Chickasaw Nation with Study.com
Perfect School Search
- A - I
- K - R
- S - Y
- Nearby States