Top School for a Psychology Degree - Phoenix, AZ
Students interested in studying psychology in Phoenix have only a few schools to choose from. Read about the top local schools' degree programs, tuition and ranking info to find the right one for you.
School and Ranking Information
There are few schools in the Phoenix area that offer psychology programs. The following schools are considered the top three based on rankings, degree levels available and program offerings:
- Winner: Arizona State University (ASU) is the top overall pick because it is ranked highest of the three schools by U.S. News & World Report. Students can pursue bachelor's, master's, and doctoral studies in psychology, and ASU had the highest graduation rate in psychology. In 2014, ASU's psychology graduate program was ranked No. 38, and the clinical psychology graduate program was rated No. 37 by U.S. News & World Report.
- 1st Runner-up: Prescott College (PC) is 1st runner-up due to its low student-faculty ratio and unique program offerings, including an equine-assisted mental health focus. Prescott students can study psychology on the bachelor's and master's levels.
- 2nd Runner-up: Midwestern University - Glendale (MUG) secured third place because it offers master's and doctorate degrees in psychology. Midwestern University - Glendale also offers its students an opportunity for real-world experience through internships and other experiential offerings.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Arizona State University||Prescott College||Midwestern University - Glendale|
|Ranking||University ranked 139th in the nation in 2013**||N/A||N/A|
|Location||Tempe, AZ (8.4 miles from Phoenix)||Prescott, AZ (78.9 miles from Phoenix)||Glendale, AZ (15.1 miles from Phoenix)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition||$9,484 (undergraduate, in-state), $23,136 (undergraduate, out-of-state), $10,300 + $500 program fee (graduate, in-state), $18,972 + $500 program fee (graduate, out-of-state) (2013-2014)***||$14,160 - 12 credits (undergraduate), $8,880 - 12 credits (graduate) (2013-2014)***||$27,391 (2012-2013)***|
|Psychology Award Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees, post-master's certificates||Master's and doctoral degrees|
|Psychology Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in (2011-2012)||944*||41 (bachelor's and master's awards only, no figure available for post-master's certificate awards)*||16 (includes 11 master's degrees awarded as part of doctoral requirements)*|
|Most Popular Psychology Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's in Psychology - General (839 awarded)*||Bachelor's in Psychology - General (23 awarded)*||N/A|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2005 Entering Class||57%*||29%*||N/A|
|Noteworthy||Six scholarships available for psychology students||Student-faculty ratio of 8:1*||Program is American Psychological Association (APA) accredited|
Sources: *NCES, **U.S. News and World Report, ***Schools' websites.
Winner: Arizona State University
- Students can join Psi Chi, psychology's honor society
- Undergraduate honors psychology track is offered
In addition to the psychology programs on ASU's main campus, bachelor's programs are offered at the university's Lake Havasu campus, and the West campus located in Phoenix. Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS) awards are available in general psychology, and at BS in Psychological Science is available as well. Students can also study psychology through the university's interdisciplinary studies program. The bachelor's in psychology requires a total of 120 credit hours, with 37 of those hours in psychology courses focusing on topics like behavior, genetics, learning, and culture as they relate to the field.
At the graduate level, students can pursue a Master of Science in Psychology at the West campus, and seven concentrations, including law and psychology, are among the doctorate-level study options. Outside of the psychology department, a master's program in counseling and a doctoral program in counseling psychology are offered through the university's College of Letters and Sciences.
Runner-Up #1: Prescott College
- Students can concentrate in equine-assisted mental health
- University's Peer Education and Resource Center (PERC) offers students peer support in their academic and personal growth
Students at PC can choose from undergraduate programs in counseling psychology and ecopsychology. Students who study ecopsychology also take environmental course work. PC's graduate degree program requires a total of 60 credits. Graduate study in counseling psychology is done on a limited-residency basis with time split between core courses and at least 900 total hours in clinical work and internships. Adventure-based psychotherapy and somatic psychology, which offers a holistic approach to the field, are among the five concentrations available at the graduate level.
Runner-Up #2: Midwestern University - Glendale
- University operates a clinic in Glendale offering psychology services
- Program can be completed in four years
- Students interning at the Arizona State Hospital can apply for a $7,000 scholarship
MUG specializes in healthcare education, and the doctoral program in clinical psychology is a relatively new program that graduated its first class in 2011. Instead of offering a separate master's program in psychology, the university awards the master's in progress toward the doctorate award. Doctoral study at MUG is interdisciplinary to give students a broad scope of experiences within the field of psychology. Clinical rotations and practicum are part of the curriculum intended to aid students' progress toward successful licensure.
Related to Top School for a Psychology Degree - Phoenix, AZ
- Recently Updated
Have you ever wondered what taking an online college course might be like? So did we, so we took one! But the course is now...
Well, it's all come down to this. The studying is done, the practice test is complete and the lessons are finished. It's the...
Things are coming down to the home stretch now. Time to step up the studying and really make these last lessons count! With...
For the last few weeks, we've been taking advantage of free college course material online thanks to the Open Course Library's...
- Learn Psychology in the Blogosphere: Top 10 Psychology Blogs
- Applied Psychology: Career Options, Job Duties and Requirements
- Careers in Forensic Psychology: Overview of Options
- 25 Great Jobs for Humanities Majors
- Further Proof That a College Education Isn't a Waste
- There's a Better Way to Learn Together Online
- The Best 4-Year Colleges for Transfer Students
- Graduate Certificate in General Psychology: An Overview
- Geriatric Psychology: Career Options, Job Duties and Requirements
- Can an Online Certificate Give You the Edge in the Job Market?
- California Elementary School Combines Reading Encouragement with Business Writing
- 10 Ways to Make Sure You Survive End-of-Semester Stress
Perfect School Search
- Arizona Cities
- Nearby States