Formal education programs for administrative assistants typically provide training in communications, scheduling and project management, as well as the dissemination of information to staff and clients and the organization of travel arrangements. Programs generally confer associate degrees or certificates.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Clerical and General Office
- Customer Service and Call Center Support
- Executive Assistant or Secretary
- Office Technology and Data Entry
- Warehousing and Inventory Management
The following schools provide noteworthy training programs for administrative assistants. Each of the four schools profiled below provides comprehensive training for aspiring administrative assistants.
Madison Area Technical College in Madison, WI
|School Highlight: Madison College is frequently referred to as the 'guaranteed on-ramp' to the University of Wisconsin in Madison.|
Madison Area Technical College (Madison College) is a 4-year public school that offers an online Administrative Professional Program that leads to an associate degree. Once enrolled, students become familiar with the common computer software that administrative assistants often use on the job, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Dreamweaver. The college has five locations in the Madison area, as well as four regional campuses in nearby cities.
Northern Virginia Community College in Annandale, VA
|School Highlight: NOVA is the 2nd-largest community college in the nation.|
Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) is a 2-year public school with six campuses and four educational centers in the District of Columbia region. At the college, students can pursue an Associate of Applied Science in Business Management with a specialization in administrative support technology. Coursework includes topics in applied business math, accounting and computer business applications. Students also learn about marketing concepts and how to design a webpage.
CUNY Kingsborough Community College in Brooklyn, NY
|School Highlight: KCC serves approximately 14,000 students.|
CUNY Kingsborough Community College (KCC) is an institutional member of the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Students at KCC can earn an Associate of Applied Science in Office Administration and Technology with an optional track in medical office work. Aspiring professionals who choose the stenography track can prepare for a career as an executive, legal or school office assistant.
Florida State College at Jacksonville
|School Highlight: The school offers multiple programs for aspiring office workers.|
Students at Florida State College can earn an associate degree or technical certificate in the field. In the Associate of Science (A.S.) in Office Administration program, students learn about computer software, office systems, human resources and management. They must choose between two specialty tracks: office management and medical office. The program has been accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). In the Office Management Technical Certificate program, students build computer, customer service and mathematical skills. The program is available online, and credits may be transferred toward an associate degree.
Top Administrative Assistant Programs
Here are some more institutions with strong offerings for aspiring administrative assistants:
- Long Island Business Institute in Flushing, NY, offers an Associate in Occupational Studies in Office Technology program with an optional concentration in medical office work.
- Northern Michigan University in Marquette, MI, offers Superior Edge, a leadership program open to all students.
- At Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY, the Associate + Bachelor's degree program allows students enrolled in an associate degree program to transfer into a bachelor's degree program after just seven quarters.
- Sierra College in Rocklin, CA, is the home of Sierra Press, the first academic press at a U.S. community college.
- Suffolk County Community College in Selden, NY, is the largest community college in New York State.
- Tidewater Community College's Open Door project provides aid for financially-needy students. The school is located in Norfolk, VA.
Administrative assistant programs are most commonly offered at community colleges, although some universities also offer relevant programs. Students gain general office skills and may be able to specialize their studies for a specific industry.