Degree programs in communication technology, available at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, often include coursework in Web development, systems management, public communication or media history.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Photo, Film and Video Tech
- Radio and Television Broadcasting
- Recording Arts
The following four schools offer outstanding programs in communication technology. Three of them, Michigan State University, Eastern Michigan University and Florida State University, offer a bachelor's degrees in communication technology; students at the University of Denver can pursue a graduate certificate or a master's degree. These schools have all been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
Michigan State University in East Lansing, MI
|School Highlight: Faculty members have won numerous awards.|
Michigan State University was ranked tied at #82 among national universities by U.S. News & World Report for 2017. The school offers a bachelor's degree program in media and communication technology that integrates the study of new media and communication methodologies. The program's track in information and communication technology is oriented toward emerging technologies.
Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL
|School Highlight: The school has an Institute for Digital Information and Scientific Communication.|
Florida State University was ranked among the top 50 public schools in the country by U.S. News & World Report in 2017. Additionally, the university's School of Library and Information Science placed 13th in the country among library and information studies programs, as designated by U.S. News & World Report in 2013. The school offers a bachelor's degree program in information, communication and technology that includes coursework in technological research, intercultural awareness and Web administration.
University of Denver in Denver, CO
|School Highlight: Denver was ranked tied at #25 in Best Online Graduate Computer Information Technology Programs by U.S. News & World Report in 2017.|
The University of Denver is a private institution that ranked tied for 86th among national universities, according to U.S. News & World Report in 2017. It was also recognized as one of the best colleges in the western U.S. by The Princeton Review in the same year. Denver offers a graduate certificate and a master's degree in information and communications technology; both programs are available online and on campus. Students pursuing the master's degree can choose from more than a half dozen specialty tracks, including systems security, Web design and database administration.
Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, MI
|School Highlight: The communication technology program has articulation agreements with community colleges in Michigan.|
Undergraduates at Eastern Michigan University can choose a major in communication technology. In this highly interdisciplinary program, students study business, information technology and media, among other subjects, which can prepare them for a wide range of careers. The major culminates in a senior seminar. The school was ranked as a second-tier national university by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
Top Communication Technology Programs
These schools also provide strong communication technology programs:
- New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, NM, offers an online bachelor's degree completion program in information and communication technology.
- Ohio University in Athens was ranked tied for 74th among top public schools by U.S. News & World Report in 2017.
- At Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT, the Communication and Media Studies department coordinates the internship program.
- At the University of Colorado - Boulder, the information and communication technology program is focused on communication technology in developing countries.
- At the University of Texas - Arlington, the communication technology program curriculum emphasizes Internet communication.
- At the University of Wisconsin - Stout in Menomonie, WI, the information and communication technologies program offers emphases in technical communication, media and networking.
Communication technology programs typically combine media- and information technology-related studies. Undergraduate and graduate-level programs are available at universities across the country.