Top Schools for Drafting and Design Engineering
Learn about programs in drafting and design engineering, available at community and 4-year colleges or universities. Read about degree options at three leading institutions, and find a table with at-a-glance information about other schools in the U.S. that provide training for drafters and design engineers.
Drafting programs provide students with training in computer-aided design and drafting (CADD), through which they learn how to develop technical plans and drawings for products. In design engineering programs, students learn how to develop or modify designs, based upon size, materials, weight, shape and cost.
Two of the three schools featured below, the Pennsylvania College of Technology and Johnson & Wales University offer both associate's and bachelor's degree programs in CAD design and technology or engineering design; students at Murray State University can earn a 4-year degree.
Top U.S. Schools with Drafting and Design Engineering Programs
1. Murray State University in Murray, KY
Murray State University was ranked among the top ten public schools by U.S. News & World Report in 2012. The university offers a Bachelor of Science in Drafting and Design program that prepares students to work with architects and engineers in the fields of construction and manufacturing.
2. Pennsylvania College of Technology in Williamsport, PA
The Pennsylvania College of Technology, an affiliate of Pennsylvania State University, provides students with training in applied technologies. The college offers an Associate of Applied Science in Computer-Aided Drafting Technology and a Bachelor of Science in Computer-Aided Product Design.
3. Johnson & Wales University in Providence, RI
In 2012, U.S. News & World Report ranked Johnson & Wales University among the best 100 regional universities in the North. The university offers an associate's degree in computerized drafting and a bachelor's degree in engineering design and configuration management.
List of Ten Good Drafting and Design Engineering Schools
|Chesapeake College||First regional community college in Maryland||Wye Mills, MD|
|Crowder College||Programs are designed for transfer to 4-year schools||Neosho, MO|
|Eldon Career Center||Tuition discounts for seniors||Eldon, MO|
|Johnson & Wales University||Community service programs||Providence, RI|
|Mesa Community College||Early college programs for high school students||Mesa, AZ|
|Murray State University||78% of full-time faculty hold the highest degree in their fields||Murray, KY|
|Northern Essex Community College||Job placement assistance||Haverhill, MA|
|Pennsylvania College of Technology||Largest worker training program in Pennsylvania||Williamsport, PA|
|Salt Lake Community College||Evening classes available||Salt Lake City, UT|
|University of Alaska Anchorage||Largest university in Alaska||Anchorage, AK|
Related to Top Schools for Drafting and Design Engineering
- Recently Updated
Students interested in CAD drafting will find a number of associate's degree and certificate options in the Phoenix area. Read...
Engineering design is the initial conceptualization stage of an engineering project. Continue reading for an overview of the...
Engineering drafting and design programs generally offer associate degrees and emphasize math, fluency in computer-aided design...
Read about degrees and training programs in design engineering. Learn about educational requirements, potential coursework and...
- Calling All Engineering Students: Want to Design a Space Project for NASA?
- Engineering Design Major: Information and Requirements
- Design Drafting Certification: Certificate Program Summary
- Careers in DNA Analysis: Job Options and Degree Requirements
- Reading With Pictures' David Rapp Talks to Study.com
- Cartographic Drafter: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- How Can International Students Use Study.com?
- Associate of Design Drafting: Degree Overview
- Bachelors Degree in Architectural Drafting and Design
- An Athlete, a Scholar and a Leader: Study.com Speaks with Sam Acho
- Your Information Expert: Study.com Speaks With a Public Librarian
- A Pathway for Open Education: Study.com Speaks with the University of California, Irvine