Students can train to become medical administrative assistants and secretaries can pursue undergraduate studies at community colleges around the country.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Aspiring medical administrative assistants and secretaries can find programs at Nassau Community College, the Community College of Baltimore County, San Jacinto Community College and Bergen Community College. Each of these four schools offers both a certificate and an associate degree in medical office administration, assisting or technology.
Nassau Community College in Garden City, NY
|School Highlight: Nassau Community College is the largest single-campus community college in New York|
Nassau Community College (NCC) is part of the State University of New York (SUNY) system. Programs at this college include a certificate and an associate degree program in medical office technology. Required coursework includes training in medical coding and word processing.
The Community College of Baltimore County in Baltimore, MD
|School Highlight:Medical office assistant program at the Community College of Baltimore County is part of the Health Manpower Shortage program and offers Baltimore County tuition rates|
The Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) has campuses in Dundalk, Essex and Catonsville, all of which are located in the Baltimore metropolitan area. The Information Technology Department offers an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Medical Office Assistant, as well as a Clinical Medical Office and Medical Office Administrative certificate program. The clinical program focuses on the medical assisting side of the field, while the administrative option helps students acquire in-depth transcription skills.
San Jacinto Community College in Pasadena, TX
|School Highlight: San Jacinto Community College offers a medical administrative assistant program at three campuses in the Houston area.|
The school offers 140 academic and technical programs on three campuses, including a Certificate of Technology and an A.A.S. in Business Office Technology (Medical Administration). The certificate requires 42 credits to complete, while the degree program includes 60-credit-hours of study.
Bergen Community College in Paramus, NJ
|School Highlight: Students can participate in a for-credit medical office assistant externship that provides 240 hours of training.|
The A.A.S. in Medical Assistant program at Bergen Community College is designed to prepare students to take the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants. Students learn basic clinical and office skills. In the Medical Office Administrative Assistant Certificate program, students are trained for office work in doctor's offices, HMO's, billing companies and other medicine-related institutions.
Top Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary Schools in the U.S.
Here are some more schools that offer educational opportunities for aspiring medical administrative assistants and secretaries:
- Through Eastern Florida State College in Cocoa, FL, students can enroll in on-campus and online certificate and associate degree programs in office administration with a medical office specialization.
- At Des Moines Area Community College in Ankeny, IA, the A.A.S. in Medical Office Specialist program focuses on common medical office technology and software programs, as well as patient interaction.
- At Madison Area Technical College in Madison, WI, students with prior work experience or Microsoft certifications may receive advanced standing in the A.A.S. in Medical Administrative Specialist program.
- At Moraine Valley Community College in Palos Hills, IL, certificate programs for medical secretaries include training in medical terminology, scheduling, reports and data entry.
- The A.A.S. in Business Information Systems program at Sinclair Community College in Dayton, OH, offers a medical office option that focuses on customer service, software applications and office procedure.
- At Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, MI, the medical office assistant certificate program provides training in insurance, billing and transcription, as well as patient care.
Overall, the best community colleges for aspiring students who want to become medical administrative assistants or secretaries offer multiple undergraduate program options for students and cover a wide range of career-specific topics.