Aspiring nail technicians and manicurists can find relevant training at cosmetology and beauty schools. Students who successfully complete programs in the field may find work in salons, spas, cruise ships or other personal care settings.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aesthetician and Skin Care
- Barber and Hair Cutting Services
- Beauty Salon Management
- Cosmetology, Hair, and Nail Instructor
- Facial Treatment Specialist
- Hair Design
- Make-Up Artist
- Nail Technician - Manicurist
- Permanent Cosmetics and Tattooing
Three of the top schools for nail technicians and manicurists include the Marinello Schools of Beauty in Los Angeles, Guy's Shreveport Academy of Cosmetology in Louisiana, and Baldwin Beauty Schools in Texas. These schools were chosen because they're all accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences (NACCAS).
Marinello Schools of Beauty - Los Angeles in Los Angeles, CA
|School Highlight: The Marinello Schools of Beauty located in Los Angeles, California offers career placement assistance to its students.|
The Marinello Schools of Beauty are part of a private for-profit chain that has been approved by the NACCAS. The schools' manicure and nail technology programs prepare students for careers as manicurists or nail technicians through classroom learning and hands-on practice with real clients.
Once enrolled, students learn about the anatomy and physiology of the hands and feet, as well as sanitation and infection control, common nail disorders and diseases and general manicuring. Additional topics include the application of different types of artificial nails. Students also receive technical and practical training and will work towards preparation for the state licensing exam.
Guy's Shreveport Academy of Cosmetology, Inc., in Shreveport, LA
|School Highlight: Guy's Shreveport Academy of Cosmetology Inc. considers transfer students for admission.|
Guy's Shreveport Academy of Cosmetology, Inc., is a private for-profit school that is licensed by the State of Louisiana Board of Cosmetology and holds accreditation from NACCAS. The school offers a comprehensive cosmetology program that prepares students for the Louisiana state licensing exam. Students will attend classes for a total of 1500 hours in order to complete the program in 47 weeks. An approved high school diploma and an admission interview will be required of all applicants.
Baldwin Beauty School in Austin, TX
|School Highlight: The school has two campuses, both within the city of Austin.|
Baldwin offers a 600-hour manicurist course. Over 18 weeks, students learn about manicuring, pedicuring, and nail esthetics. The curriculum consists of a mixture of classroom demonstrations and real-world training in the Student Salon, which provides services to the public. Students also take courses in business and sanitation, which provides valuable training for future careers in the salon industry. At the end of the program, graduates are awarded a certificate.
Top Nail Technician and Manicurist Schools
The following schools also offer career-focused programs for aspiring nail technicians and manicurists:
- At the Homestead, FL, campus of the Beauty Schools of America, students receive career placement assistance.
- At Empire Beauty School in Bloomington, MN, nail technician courses offered through the cosmetology program.
- Gerber's Akron Beauty School in Columbus, OH, offers advanced study courses in manicuring.
- Nationwide Beauty Academy in Columbus, OH, offers an extended program in salon ownership and management.
- Rivertown School of Beauty's nail technician program requires 600 hours for state licensing. The school is located in Columbus, GA.
- At Rudy and Kelly Academy of Hair and Nails in Virginia Beach, VA, nail technician training is offered through the cosmetology program.
Students can gain the manicuring skills they need to become nail technicians through accredited beauty and cosmetology schools around the country. Some schools also offer supplemental business-related training that is relevant for graduates.