Top Schools for Naturopathic Medicine
Learn about programs in naturopathic medicine, through which students learn how to treat medical conditions without using toxic chemicals or major surgery. Read about the training options at three accredited institutions, and find a list of other schools in the U.S. that offer formal education programs in naturopathic medicine.
Programs in naturopathic medicine can lead to certificates or degrees in acupuncture, natural therapies or herbal medicine. The schools listed here are the only ones in the U.S. recognized by the Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges. They include two natural health schools and a traditional university. Two of the schools offer degree programs that can lead to a Naturopathic Doctor credential.
Top Naturopathic Medicine Schools
1. Bastyr University in Kenmore, WA
Bastyr University is home to a cutting-edge research institute, a dispensary and several local clinics. The Bastyr Center for Natural Health allows graduate students in the natural medicine, nutrition and Oriental medicine programs to receive hands-on training in a number of areas. These include nutritional counseling, acupuncture and homeopathy. Bastyr also offers degree programs in herbal sciences, midwifery and several other natural healing therapies, as well as a certificate program in Chinese herbal medicine.
2. Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine in Tempe, AZ
Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine offers a Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.) program which consists of classroom, clinical and laboratory work. Required coursework includes topics in anatomy, nutrition, Oriental medicine and homeopathy. Postdoctoral residencies are also available at the main campus in Tempe and at satellite locations in Arizona and Alaska. Physicians at the residency program in Phoenix, AZ, study family medicine while treating a population that consists mostly of Spanish-speaking clients.
3. University of Bridgeport in Bridgeport, CT
The University of Bridgeport includes the College of Naturopathic Medicine, which hosts the Center of Excellence in Generative Medicine and the Naturopathic Medical Clinic. These facilities allow students in the N.D. program to conduct scientific research on naturopathic therapies and provide care to patients under the supervision of experienced faculty. The N.D. curriculum includes courses in Oriental, homeopathic and botanical medicine, as well as chemistry, physiology and neuroscience. Postdoctoral residency programs are also available.
List of Five Accredited Naturopathic Medicine Schools in the U.S.
|Bastyr University||Largest natural heath university in the country||Kenmore, WA|
|National College of Natural Medicine||Oldest college of naturopathic medicine in the world||Portland, OR|
|National University of Health Sciences||Only school that requires a bachelor's degree for admission to a chiropractic program||Lombard, IL|
|Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine||Students provide over 10,000 hours of extracurricular service locally and internationally||Tempe, AZ|
|University of Bridgeport||Only college on the East Coast with a naturopathic medicine program||Bridgeport, CT|
Related to Top Schools for Naturopathic Medicine
- Recently Updated
Learn about the requirements and courses for earning a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine degree. Find out about career choices,...
Online courses in naturopathic medicine focus on eastern, alternative and holistic approaches to medicine. These courses...
Learn about the curriculum and prerequisites for a naturopathic medicine degree program. Find out about career choices,...
There are number of different careers in sports medicine, ranging from allied health professionals to physicians. Certification...
- Sports Medicine Trainer: Salary Info, Job Description and Requirements
- Nuclear Medicine: Educational Requirements & Career Info
- Sports Medicine Doctor: Educational Requirements
- Building Community Through the Arts: Study.com Speaks with Fresh Arts
- Best Advocate for Free Education: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Florida (FL): University and College Education System
- Open Education Around the World: Study.com Speaks with the University of Southern Queensland
- Energy Medicine Degree and Training Program Information
- Sports Medicine Technician: Job Duties and Career Requirements
- Top University in Indianapolis for a Public Administration Master's Degree
- Arts and Communications Careers: Job Options and Requirements
- Career Information for a Medical Office Management Degree