Sport and fitness management degree programs are available at some of the top-ranked institutions in the country. Explore several of these schools and the unique undergraduate and/or graduate programs they offer.
Aspiring sports administrators can find programs at four high-ranking national universities, including the University of Texas, University of Florida, Ohio State University and Florida State University. Both undergraduate and graduate programs are available at the University of Texas, University of Florida and Florida State University; Ohio State University offers master's and doctoral degrees in sport management. All of these schools were ranked within the top 100 national universities by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
University of Texas at Austin
|School Highlight: Sport management students have access to two labs.|
The University of Texas at Austin is a public university ranked 56th among national universities for 2017, according to U.S. News & World Report. The university's Austin School of Education offers bachelor's, master's and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs in sport management. Available through the Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, the programs include topics in advertising, corporate finance and strategic promotion, as well as sports ethics.
University of Florida in Gainesville, FL
|School Highlight: A thesis option is available at the master's level.|
The University of Florida is a public university that U.S. News & World Report ranked 50th among national universities for 2017. Through the College of Health and Human Performance, students can pursue a bachelor's degree in sport management. Once enrolled, aspiring professionals acquire skills in marketing, public speaking and sports facility management. They also complete a mandatory internship. Graduate programs include a Master of Science in Sport Management.
Ohio State University in Columbus, OH
|School Highlight: The sport management program was established in 1978.|
Ohio State University is a public university ranked 54th among national universities, as designated by U.S. News & World Report for 2017. The university's School of Physical Activity and Educational Services offers a Master of Arts and Ph.D. in Sport Management. Program emphasis is on sports facility management, finance and marketing. Students also learn about the strengths and weaknesses of the human body in relationship to physical activity and everyday health. They also become familiar with research methods and design and data analysis.
Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL
|School Highlight:FSU offers a global sport management program.|
Florida State University is a public school ranked 92nd in U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list of best national universities. The College of Education offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in sport management. Students in these programs can learn from industry professionals through conferences, internships, volunteer partnerships and graduate assistantships.
Top Sport and Fitness Management Schools
In addition to the aforementioned schools, here are some other top sport and fitness management schools.
- Texas A&M University in College Station is home to the Center for Sport Management Research and Education.
- Located in Orlando, the University of Central Florida offers the DeVos Sport Business Management Graduate Program, which has been ranked in the top five nationally by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and ESPN the Magazine.
- The Department of Kinesiology at the University of Georgia in Athens offers undergraduate and graduate programs in sport management.
- The University of Houston in Texas is home to the Sports Vision Performance Center.
- The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor offers student internships and field experiences in sport management through Octagon, PGA and Adidas.
- The University of Minnesota - Twin Cities is located in Minneapolis, MN. Its College of Education and Human Development offers graduate programs in sport management.
Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs in sport management are available at several top-ranked institutions. Students interested in these programs can weigh their options by looking at the learning experiences offered, available program concentrations and more.