Students may choose from 6-month certificate programs, 2- year associate or 4-year bachelor's degree programs in Web programming and computer science available through computer or art departments in technical institutes, colleges and universities.
Web Programming Schools
Here's a list of schools with applicable programs:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition 2015-2016*|
|Daytona State College||Daytona Beach, Florida||4-year, Public||Associate, certificate||In-state $3,282
|Brigham Young University-Idaho||Rexburg, Idaho||4-year, Private||Bachelor's||$3,830|
|Champlain College||Burlington, Vermont||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, certificate||$37,536|
|Stark State College||North Canton, Ohio||2-year, Public||Associate||In-state $3,686
|Lewis-Clark State College||Lewiston, Idaho||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||In-state $7,224
|St. Petersburg College||Clearwater, Florida||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||In-state $3,352
|San Diego Mesa College||San Diego, California||2-year, Public||Certificate, associate||In-state $1,142
|College of St. Rose||Albany, New York||4-year, Private||Associate, bachelor's||$29,826|
|Wilmington University||New Castle, Delaware||4-year, Private||Certificate||$10,430|
*Source: National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Information Systems Security
- Networking Management
- Systems Administration
- Webmaster and Multimedia Management
School Selection Criteria
Students interested in web programming schools may want to keep this information in mind when selecting their program:
- Program curriculum may differ in the programming languages emphasized, as well as the number of networking, computer science, and field training focused courses.
- Distance learning opportunities may provide greater flexibility for students who would like to study from home.
- Students looking to begin a website development career may qualify for entry-level positions or start their own business after earning a certificate or associate degree.
- Those seeking a range of career opportunities, including webmaster or application developer, may find a bachelor's degree in computer science with a focus on Web-based programming beneficial.
Certificate in Web Programming
Associate Degree in Computer Programming
Offering more instruction in Web programming and general computing technology than a certificate program, associate degree programs may include courses introducing students to the use of algorithms, data analysis and interactive website development. Prerequisites generally include a high school diploma or GED, and graduates may be able to transfer credit toward a bachelor's degree. In addition to standard Web languages, courses may also teach Visual Basic, MySQL, Perl and CGI.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Most computer science majors include courses in Web programming and website development. Students learn fundamental computing and technical support knowledge, including diagnostic tools, operating systems and hardware components.
When exploring degree programs in Web programming, individuals should verify that the coursework matches their desired area of study and ultimate career goals.