What Can You Do With a Human Development Major?
A human development major explores the social, cultural, biological and psychological aspects of human growth. Students with a bachelor's degree in human development may choose to enter the human-services workforce or continue on to graduate school in a variety of related fields.
Human development graduates are prepared to enter a variety of service-oriented fields, such as psychology, public health, public policy, child care, criminal justice and social work. Common employers of human development graduates include non-profit organizations, school districts, colleges and universities, state and local government agencies, federal government agencies and hospitals.
Median Salary for Human Development Majors
The chart below lists the median salary for human development majors according to employer type. The information was gathered from PayScale.com in Jult 2014.
|Employer Type||Median Salary|
|Colleges and universities||$41,680|
Continuing Education Options
Human development majors also prepare students for graduate school. Students can continue their education by earning a master's degree in fields such as marriage, family and child counseling, psychology, anthropology, women's studies, social work and education, among several others.
Human Development Major: An Overview
Human development is an interdisciplinary major that studies the biological, psychological, sociological and cultural characteristics of human growth over the lifespan. Students investigate the interrelationship between the biological, psychological and socio-cultural processes that have an effect on human development and the evolution of culture.
Coursework for this major typically includes anthropology, biology, psychology, gerontology, ethnic studies and sociology. Students also study topics such as the biological basis of human development, language development, neurological development, cognitive change and social cognition development. Additional topics typically include genetics, embryology, perspectives on intelligence, psychology of sexuality, adolescence, parenting and aging.
Related to What Can You Do With a Human Development Major?
- Recently Updated
Degrees in human development typically cover the behavioral and psychological progression of individuals and examine group...
Research the requirements to become a research and development biostatistician. Learn about the job description and read the...
Find out how to become a learning and development specialist. Research the job description and the education requirements and...
Research the requirements to become a Child Development Associate. Learn about the job description and duties, and read the...
- Economic Development Jobs: Career Options, Duties and Requirements
- Development Assistant: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Jobs in Economic Development: Career and Salary Information
- Hostage Negotiator: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Clinical Microbiologist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Jobs in Computational Biology: Career Options and Requirements
- Development Director: Job Outlook & Career Info
- Multimedia Development Certificate: Education & Training Overview
- Most Progressive Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Bruce Vinik on Study.com: A College Admissions Counselor Reminds Us to Slow Down
- IRS Auditor: Job Description & Requirements