What Can You Do With a Master of Science in Nursing?
Master of Science in Nursing degrees are meant for those who already work as registered nurses, have completed their bachelor's degree in nursing and would like to take their career to the next level. These degrees are generally meant to enhance the nurse's knowledge, responsibility and credibility.
Careers for Graduates with a Master of Science in Nursing
A registered nurse may become an advanced practice nurse upon the completion of a master's degree program. Advanced practice nurses then may either work independently or alongside physicians, providing primary care services to patients. The types of advance practice nurses include nurse practitioners, nurse midwives, clinical nurse specialists and nurse anesthetists. The roles of these nurses may vary by state, though it's generally accepted that advanced practice nurses may prescribe medicine to patients.
A master's degree may also allow a registered nurse to move into a career in healthcare administration. In this role, the nurse may work on consulting, quality assurance, policy development and marketing for pharmaceutical companies, hospitals and insurance companies.
Master of Science in Nursing: Overview
Nurses who seek to earn a master's degree often do so within a specialization of nursing. Some of these specializations may include HIV/AIDS, oncology, developmental disabilities, nephrology and cardiovascular nursing. In addition, students may earn their nursing management master's degree in order to take on a managerial role.
When choosing a master's degree in nursing program, students may want to look at which specializations are offered. Often a school may have only a few specializations in which the student may earn a master's degree. Classes in a master's degree program often depend upon the specialization. Some of these courses may include a health systems overview, nursing research, pharmacology, nursing theory, professional practice and issues in nursing management.
Related to What Can You Do With a Master of Science in Nursing?
- Recently Updated
California recently awarded $2.7 million in grants to 19 postsecondary nursing programs through the Office of Statewide Health...
Each year, Education-Portal.com awards ten merit-based scholarships to students in fields ranging from health administration to...
As many career-seekers know, healthcare is one of the most rapidly expanding fields, and a projected nurse shortage is making...
Graduate nursing scholarships are available from private foundations, non-profit organizations and the federal government....
- Nursing Student Michelle Rex Wins Education-Portal.com's Textbooks for a Year Scholarship
- Certified Nursing Technician: Job Description & Education Requirements
- Nursing Informatics Certification and Certificate Program Information
- Mechanical Designer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Layout Editor: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Careers in Automotive Drafting and Design: Options and Requirements
- Music Journalist: Education Requirements and Career Information
- Accredited Online Schools with Doctoral Nursing Programs: How to Choose
- Online Palliative Nursing Courses
- Animal Specialist: Job Description and Education Requirements
- California Highway Patrol (CHP) Careers: Job Options and Requirements
- A Plus Certification: Overview of Computer Technician Programs