Online Apple Course Information and Requirements
Apple computer users - from first-time owners to veteran users - can take advantage of free online course materials and tutorials. Learning opportunities are available through OpenCourseWare (OCW) programs and even from Apple itself. Free online instruction on using Apple computers and products is usually conducted through a combination of Web-based, step-by-step tutorials, screen shots and videos. Learners may need to download specialized software in order to view video content. Users utilizing this content receive no academic credits or grades. In addition, online learners who participate in these lessons can't interact with other students or instructors.
List of Free Apple Tutorials and Courses Online
Utah State University
These OCW course materials are intended to familiarize novice users with Apple's Macintosh computer.
- Computer Applications for Instruction and Training allows access to lecture outlines, assignments and video tutorials that cover Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe GoLive and Apple's iMovie. Obtaining the necessary hardware, software and peripherals, such as digital video cameras or compatible computers, is the responsibility of the student. Course materials also include links to related resources for independent learning.
- Computer Basics covers a wide range of topics from getting to know the computer to troubleshooting techniques. Apple owners (or those hoping to become Apple owners) can find many useful tips in this free course, which includes videos, text and interactive pictures. They learn about netbooks, buttons, iCloud and various Web applications.
- iPad Basics allows students to learn about basic iPad operation and become familiar with iTunes, iCloud, Siri and other features of the iPad. They also learn about the App Store. The course, which includes text lessons, images and videos, also covers Wi-Fi, security and working with general settings.
- Mac OS X Lion allows learners to explore Apple's new OS X Lion operating system through a number of lessons, interactive materials and videos. Upgrading to Mac OS X Lion and using functions like the mission control, dock and launchpad are covered, along with adjusting computer settings. Learners also become familiar with new features in Mountain Lion. A self-assessment quiz is also available under the 'Extras' tab.
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion helps learners become familiar with the Mas OS X Mountain Lion, Apple's latest operating system, and its many features. Through text lessons, videos and interactive images, they learn about the share button, notification center, iCloud and finder. There's also a segment on Apple apps.
University of Texas at Austin
- Introduction to Macs for PC Users helps computer users with no Mac-based experience can get help using Apple computers and their standard software applications. They also become familiar with external storage devices and learn Mac keyboard shortcuts. Course materials include text-based lessons and screen shots, as well as video content. Students can access individual lessons or view or download the entire tutorial.
- iMovie '11: Publish a movie to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, or CNN iReport is a short video tutorial, hosted on Apple's website, features instructions for using the company's iMovie '11 software program. Users learn how to share iMovie videos from their computer and troubleshooting techniques.