Wildlife Biology Major: Information and Requirements
Wildlife biologists study the behavior, diseases and life processes of animals. Wildlife biology bachelor's programs are generally science- and math-intensive.
Most programs require students to maintain a grade of C or better in all biology coursework. Wildlife biology majors can expect experiential learning in the lab, as well as hands-on training in the field. Additionally, they may have the opportunity to assist in research and summer fieldwork through their school; this type of experience may help with scholarship funding and employment after graduation.
- Some Program Specializations: Land animals, aquatic animals
- Experiential Learning: Lab research, field training, summer assistantships
- Other Requirements: Earn grades of C or higher in all biology courses
Wildlife Biology Major
Wildlife biology majors typically have the option of focusing their studies in either land or aquatic animals. Students take classes in physics, chemistry, calculus and statistics, as well as a variety of biology subjects. Major courses include:
- Population biology
- Cell biology and genetics
- Fisheries or wildlife management
- Animal behavior
- Wildlife conservation
Popular Career Options
Graduates with a bachelor's degree in wildlife biology may begin a career with state and federal fish and wildlife agencies, environmental consulting agencies and conservation organizations in entry-level positions such as:
- Game warden
- Conservation educator
- Field biologist
- Wildlife manager
Continuing Education Information
Although not required for entry-level positions, graduate degrees are very common for wildlife biologists. Individuals interested in specializing in certain species, including endangered ones, or areas such as aquaculture and conservation biology may want to consider a graduate program. Both master's and doctoral programs in wildlife biology are available, and completing the latter is essential for independent research and teaching positions at colleges and universities.
Related to Wildlife Biology Major: Information and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Fully online programs in wildlife biology are not common due to the necessity of fieldwork in the education process; however,...
Online degree programs in wildlife biology are rare, although online bachelor's and master's degree programs in general biology...
Master's degree programs in wildlife biology are readily available at many colleges and universities. Studies in this field...
Read about the country's best wildlife biology schools and programs, through which students can learn about wildlife...
- Wildlife Biology Graduate Schools and Colleges: How to Choose
- Careers with a Biology Degree and MBA: Combining Biology and Business
- Wildlife Biologist: Job Description & Career Info
- Bachelor's Degree in Wedding Planning: Program Overview
- Bachelor's Degree in Religion and Christ Studies
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Veterinary Science
- Registered Orthopedic Technologist: Job Duties and Requirements