Associate Degree Programs to Be an Administrative Assistant
Administrative assistant associate's degree programs cover topics applicable to general business settings, like bookkeeping, office communications and keyboarding.
Students in administrative assistant associate's degree programs will learn how to use basic office equipment and computer applications, including the Microsoft Office Suite. Graduates of these programs can gain employment in law offices, medical offices, private businesses and government offices as secretaries or administrative assistants.
- Prerequisites: High school diploma or equivalent
- Program Levels: Associate's degree
- Program Length: 2 years
Associate Degree Programs for an Administrative Assistant
The curriculum consists of general education courses combined with specific courses on business, computer skills, organization and other related subjects. A student might run across the following courses when enrolled in this degree program:
- Business editing
- Information management
- Microsoft word
- Office team procedures
- Integrated office systems
- Business law
Career Outlook and Salary Information
Administrative assistants could anticipate an average growth of 12% in the field as a whole between 2012 and 2022, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Employment of medical secretaries, however, was expected to increase by 36% in the same time frame. The annual average wage of an administrative assistant working in general business settings (excluding legal, executive and medical positions) was $34,500 in 2014 (www.bls.gov).
Continuing Education Opportunities
Graduates of an associate degree program can transfer to a 4-year institution to pursue a bachelor's degree in many fields, since the curriculum covers all of the standard general education requirements. Ability to transfer credits depends on the school. If one wants to stay in the field of administration, he or she can opt to pursue a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) program. This degree can qualify graduates for a wide variety of positions in all types of organizations.
Related to Associate Degree Programs to Be an Administrative Assistant
- Recently Updated
Administrative assistant training is usually offered as certificate or associate's degree programs. Continue reading for an...
Find out which top schools offer programs for administrative assistants or secretaries. Read about the certificate and degree...
A bilingual administrative assistant requires little formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and requirements...
General administrative assistants require little formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and requirements to...
- Corporate Administrative Assistant: Education Requirements & Career Info
- Administrative Assistant: Summary of Coursework
- Administrative Office Assistant Bachelor Degree Program Info
- Sports Broadcasting Graduate Program Options
- AAS in Health Information Management: Degree Overview
- Associate of Science (AS): Casino Business Operations Degree Overview
- Associate of Business Science in Automated Accounting: Degree Overview
- Associate of Arts (AA): Administrative Professional Degree Overview
- Associate in Administrative Assisting: Degree Overview
- Medical Optics Jobs: Career Options and Requirements
- Top School that Offers Web Design Career Education - Raleigh, NC
- Electronic Systems Technology Degree and Certification Program Info