Top Athletic Training Colleges in the U.S.
Find out which top colleges offer degrees in athletic training. Read brief summaries of the programs offered by three top-notch schools, and use the list at the end of the resource to get an idea of what other colleges in the U.S. provide training for aspiring athletic trainers.
Students who are interested in pursuing a career in athletic training will most likely need a degree from a college or university with a program that has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). The three schools featured below offer CAATE-approved programs that can lead to a bachelor's degree in athletic training. Learning outcomes include the ability to prevent, recognize and manage injuries caused by physical activities.
Top U.S. Schools with Athletic Training Programs
1. Alfred University in Alfred, NY
Alfred University was ranked 18th among northern regional colleges by U.S. News & World Report in 2012. The university offers a major in athletic training and a minor in exercise science. Students can also participate in sports through the school's 21 varsity teams. Graduates of the athletic training program are eligible to take the National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification Examination.
2. Lewis University in Romeoville, IL
Lewis University was named a top Midwestern college by The Princeton Review and ranked 41st among regional universities in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report in 2012. The university offers a Bachelor of Arts in Athletic Training and a minor in athletic coaching. Graduates of the athletic training program are prepared for employment in a wide variety of work environments, including fitness centers, country clubs, YMCAs and sports medicine clinics.
3. Anderson University in Anderson, IN
U.S. News & World Report ranked Anderson University 44th among Midwestern regional universities in 2012. Founded in 1917, Anderson was the first private university in Indiana to receive CAATE accreditation. Students completing the athletic training major have access to therapeutic and rehabilitation equipment at the school's Gaither Sports Medicine Center.
List of Ten Good Colleges for Athletic Training in the U.S.
|Alfred University||Internships are available at schools, hospitals and clinics||Alfred, NY|
|Anderson University||Clinical assignments available both on and off campus||Anderson, IN|
|Ashland University||Opportunity to travel with sports teams||Ashland, OH|
|Clarke University||Catholic affiliation||Dubuque, IA|
|East Carolina University||Athletic training students participate in community service projects||Greenville, NC|
|Greensboro College||Students can join the Athletic Training Club||Greensboro, NC|
|Lewis University||14:1 student-faculty-ratio||Romeoville, IL|
|Shenandoah University||One-on-one instruction available in the athletic training program||Winchester, VA|
|University of New England||Only medical school in Maine||Biddeford, ME|
|Wichita State University||Only urban research state university in Kansas||Wichita, KS|
Related to Athletic Trainer College
- Recently Updated
Athletic training bachelor's degree programs focus on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of muscle, joint and bone...
Read about the top schools for athletic trainers, who often work with physicians to diagnose, treat and prevent sports-related...
Learn about the best graduate programs available in athletic training. Read on for information about the top schools to offer...
Learn the differences between athletic training and sports medicine bachelor's degree programs. Read about common courses in...
- Athletic Training Graduate Programs Options
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Athletic Training
- Masters Degree in Athletic Training: Program Summaries
- Education and Experience: Study.com Speaks to a Military Veteran At Harvard Law
- Fashion Design Teacher: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Open Education Around the World: Study.com Speaks with the University of Tokyo
- Berkeley's Roll 'n Shoot Organizer Berton Mahardja Talks to Study.com
- Referee Training Course and Class Overviews
- Athletic Trainer: Summary of How to Become an Athletic Trainer
- Education Your Way: Study.com Speaks with a Part-Homeschool, Part-Public School Parent
- Educating America's GIs: Study.com Speaks With an All-Online Military Friendly School
- Nursing Student Michelle Rex Wins Study.com's Textbooks for a Year Scholarship