Bank Teller Interview Tips with Sample Questions
A bank teller handles thousands of dollars of cash, mortgage and loan payments, check deposits and funds transfers, and is a bank's front line in building and maintaining customer relationships. Therefore, bank teller candidates should be detail oriented, accurate, friendly and personable, honest, reliable and possess strong customer service skills. Financial institutions conduct interviews aimed at identifying these characteristics in potential employees.
Sample Interview Tips
Being prepared for an interview not only gives the employer a good first impression of you, but it's a necessary step in the hiring process. Here are some tips to get prospective bank tellers through the progression of a job interview:
- Be on time; preferably 10-15 minutes early
- Research information about the company, such as mission statement, company history and product line
- Dress professionally
- Bring a few copies of your resume, CV, reference list or other important documentation
- Turn off your cellular phone to avoid distractions
- Prior to the interview, practice answering questions that may be asked, such as what skills can you offer that are applicable to the position
- Have a list of questions to ask the employer
- Smile and make eye contact with the greeter (e.g. receptionist) and interviewer
- Following the interview, have an understanding of the next step in the hiring process
What Sample Questions May Be Asked During a Bank Teller Interview?
The purpose of an interview is to give the bank an overall sense of the interviewee's character, knowledge about the position, experience and professional goals. The questions below are examples of questions that might be asked at a bank teller interview:
- Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here?
- Customers can sometimes get very upset with bank policy. How would you handle a regular customer who is angry because they don't have the funds available in their account to withdraw and want you to bend the rules, just this once?
- Do you know the proper techniques for detecting counterfeit cash and fraudulent checks?
- What are your long-term goals? Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Describe a time that you had to handle an upset customer. What was the customer upset with? How was it resolved?
- What would you do if you saw a fellow employee take $100 that belonged to the bank? What if they only took $10?
- Can you explain our bank's various checking account options?
- What qualities do you think a bank teller should possess?
Potential bank tellers may be trusted with thousands of dollars and personal account information daily and therefore must be detail oriented, honest and trustworthy. Bank tellers are required to balance all currency and cash transactions, receive payments and deposits and prepare them for shipment to branch locations or the Federal Reserve Bank.
They also verify customer identity and document and currency authenticity and prepare cashier's checks. Bank tellers must demonstrate the calm and supportive demeanor needed for dealing with angry or upset customers.
In addition to honesty and customer service, banks appreciate individuals who excel at selling their products. When preparing for a bank teller interview, it is helpful to be acquainted with the bank's services and account options. A bank teller should be familiar with the products available for customers, and be able to explain them clearly to the customers.
Expected employment growth for bank tellers was predicted to be 1% between 2012 and 2022, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov). Also reported by the BLS, the annual median wage for bank tellers as of May 2012 was $24,940.
Related to Bank Teller Interview
- Recently Updated
Those interested in becoming bank tellers can do so with a high school diploma. The certification exam that tellers take after...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a bank teller. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
A job as a bank teller requires little formal education. Learn about the training, job duties and certification to see if this...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a bank teller. Get an overview of the requirements, job duties and...
- List of Free Online Bank Teller Classes and Education Programs
- Online Teller Training Information with Program Descriptions
- Student Diplomats: Collaborative Studies on the West Bank
- Career Info for a Degree in HVAC or Refrigeration
- Why New College Students Should Stick to a Routine During Vacations
- IRS Auditor: Job Description & Requirements
- Landscape Design Sales Career Options and Requirements
- How to Become a Bank Branch Manager: Education and Career Roadmap
- Bank Financial Advisor: Salary and Career Information
- Find Out What School REALLY Costs: How to Use a School Net Price Calculator
- What Can You Do if You Have Irreconcilable Roommate Differences?
- How to Get the Most Out of Your Gap Year Experience