How to Select a Barbering School
Barbering is usually offered as a certificate or diploma program through community colleges, technical colleges, beauty schools and specialized barbering schools. General course topics include cutting, hairstyling, state laws and regulations, coloring and ethics.
Summary of important considerations:
- Before enrolling in a program, students should make sure that all of the state requirements will be met in the program and that it is a state-approved training program.
- Students may want to look for programs that offer courses in human relations and marketing that help them develop customer service and customer relations skills.
- Since many training programs are offered by public colleges, students may want to consider attending a program in their state of residence to take advantage of lower tuition rates.
Barbering School Program Overview
Diploma in Barbering
Diploma programs may be offered at for-profit private institutions or at public community colleges. Programs offered at 2-year public colleges require 40-50 credits and often have options for both full and part-time enrollment. If taken full-time, requirements for state licensure can usually be completed in nine months. The program requirements usually allow for electives outside of the required courses so that students can enroll in classes that supplement their training. Work experience, either with a professional barber through an internship or in a classroom salon, is part of most curricula. A high school diploma or GED is required for entry. Barbering courses may include:
- Barber and styling implements
- Haircutting and shampooing
- Shop management
10 Schools with Barbering Programs
|Central Carolina Community College||2-year, Public|
|Cape Fear Community College||2-year, Public|
|Hinds Community College||2-year, Public|
|Pitt Community College||2-year, Public|
|Riverside Community College||2-year, Public|
|Wake Technical Community College||2-year, Public|
|Delgado Community College||2-year, Public|
|Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus||2-year, Public|
|Los Angeles Technical College||2-year, Public|
|Minneapolis Community and Technical College||2-year, Public|