Become a High School Graduate in Arizona: State Requirements
Like every other state, Arizona has specific curriculum and standardized testing requirements that students must meet to earn their high school diplomas. The following is a review of Arizona's requirements to become a high school graduate.
Requirements to Become a High School Graduate in Arizona
Students who wish to earn their high school diplomas in Arizona must earn 22 credits in approved subjects, in addition to passing a standardized test that covers core academic areas approved by the state and federal governments.
Since 2013, potential high school graduates in Arizona must earn a total of 22 credits, according to the Arizona Department of Education (www.azed.gov). Arizona's high school English curriculum covers writing, grammar, reading skills, composition and American literature. The social studies curriculum includes examinations of American and world history, geography, economics and government. Current math curriculum requirements to become a high school graduate in the state cover Algebra I and II, in addition to geometry. The following is a breakdown of the 22-credit graduation requirements for Arizona high schoolers:
- English: four credits
- Math: four credits
- Science: three credits
- Social studies: three credits
- Career/technical education or fine arts: one credit
- Electives: seven credits
Standardized Testing Requirements
High school students must also pass the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) exam in order to graduate. The test consists of three main sections: math, writing and reading. The questions on this exam reflect the Arizona Academic Content Standards. There may be alternative methods to meet the standardized testing requirement for some students, such as completion of a similar exam or standardized test.
Related to Become a High School Graduate in Arizona
- Recently Updated
Thinking about grad school? Whether you're planning to earn a master's degree, doctorate or professional degree, you'll cover a...
As the job market continues to flounder, more and more people are turning to graduate school to fill time and improve their job...
Graduate school is completed after earning a bachelor's degree. Graduate degrees may be master's degrees or doctoral degrees...
The article identifies two of the best schools to offer graduate degrees in software engineering in the United States. Learn...
- Top Schools with Counseling Graduate Programs: School List
- Psychiatry Graduate Schools: Info on Choosing a School
- Art Therapy Graduate School Information: How to Choose a School
- Environmental Analyst: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Be a Craftsman: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Commercial Electrician: Job Description and Requirements
- Library Media Specialist Degree Program and Licensure Information
- Business School Teacher Employment Info and Requirements for Becoming a Business Teacher
- Geriatric Physical Therapy Technician Information About Becoming a Geriatric Physical Therapist Tech
- Florida Welding Certification
- Turbine Cooling Engineer Information for Students Considering a Career As a Turbine Cooling Engineer
Perfect School Search
- Arizona Cities
- Nearby States