Aspiring college students residing in and around Bessemer, AL, who want to stay local can choose from a few nearby postsecondary institutions, including beauty schools, 4-year universities and community colleges. We compare and contrast the traditional schools with information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), allowing the students to determine the best fit to meet their educational goals.
Closest Schools to Bessemer, Alabama
The majority of schools that are within 25 miles of Bessemer are 4-year institutions. The closest schools to Bessemer offer certificates, associate's, and bachelor's degrees.
- ITT Technical Institute-Bessemer (4.6 miles from downtown)
- Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus (4.6 miles from downtown)
- Miles College (5.1 miles from downtown)
- Brown Mackie College-Birmingham (9.4 miles from downtown)
- Herzing University-Birmingham (9.4 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Bessemer, Alabama
The largest schools near Bessemer are primarily public institutions. Several schools in the area have student populations greater than 1,000 students.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (18,333 students)
- Jefferson State Community College (8,821 students)
- Samford University (5,206 students)
- Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus (3,172 students)
- University of Montevallo (3,031 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES approximates the cost of attending most colleges in the country by subtracting the average amount of financial aid full-time undergrad students received during one school year from the total expenses accrued that same school year. For 2014-2015, the Bessemer area offers several schools with net prices below $20,000.
- Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus ($7,676)
- Jefferson State Community College ($9,113)
- Miles College ($15,646)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham ($15,772)
- University of Montevallo ($16,100)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates and retention rates can be useful indicators of how satisfied students are with their college. The NCES calculates graduation rates from the number of full-time undergraduates who graduate within 150% of 'normal' time (i.e. six years for a bachelor's degree). The Bessemer area offers a handful of schools with rates above 40% for 2015.
- Samford University (74% graduation rate)
- Birmingham Southern College (61% graduation rate)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (55% graduation rate)
- University of Montevallo (45% graduation rate)
- Herzing University-Birmingham (42% graduation rate)
There are several public and private institutions in the Bessemer, Alabama, area that provide students with choices in school location, size, price, and graduation rates.