Prospective students in the Boone, NC, area have a variety of schools that can fit the kind of environment they're looking for with 4-year public schools, 4-year private schools, and 2-year community colleges to pick from. We will focus on comparing these traditional institutions in a few categories from data provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Boone, North Carolina
The closest schools to Boone are a few 4-year institutions, followed by several 2-year schools. The majority of these schools are public institutions.
- Appalachian State University (0.5 miles from downtown)
- Lees-McRae College (7.6 miles from downtown)
- Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute (27.2 miles from downtown)
- Wilkes Community College (29.5 miles from downtown)
- Mayland Community College (29.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Boone, North Carolina
Of the five schools in the Boone area with the highest levels of student enrollment, four are 2-year community colleges offering associate's degree programs. Appalachian State is the sole institution in the following list that offers both undergraduate and graduate education.
- Appalachian State University (18,026 students)
- Catawba Valley Community College (4,742 students)
- Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute (3,876 students)
- Wilkes Community College (2,718 students)
- Western Piedmont Community College (2,056 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The average net price is calculated by the NCES through subtracting the average financial aid awarded to a school's full-time undergraduate students from the total cost of attending that school. Net prices for the traditional schools near Boone ranged from around $4,000 up to about $23,000 for 2014-2015, with community colleges offering the lowest net prices for the area.
- McDowell Technical Community College ($4,168)
- Wilkes Community College ($5,429)
- Catawba Valley Community College ($6,766)
- Western Piedmont Community College ($7,330)
- Mayland Community College ($9,067)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES calculates an overall graduation rate for full-time undergrad students who complete their chosen program within 150% the 'normal' time (e.g., six years for bachelor's and three years for associate's degrees). With graduation rates ranging from 71% down to 16%, there is a wide range of rates for 2015 amongst the traditional schools in the area.
- Appalachian State University (71% graduation rate)
- Lenoir-Rhyne University (48% graduation rate)
- Lees-McRae College (36% graduation rate)
- Mayland Community College (31% graduation rate)
- Wilkes Community College (26% graduation rate)
Although there are no more than ten schools near Boone, North Carolina, the private and public schools in the area range in location, size, price, and graduation rates enough that students should be able to find a school that fits their needs.