CAD drafters and designers use computer software to create layouts of products or structures. Because computers are an integral part of CAD training, the first thing individuals should look for when selecting a CAD school is access to the latest equipment and software, such as AutoCAD.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Architectural Drafting and Design
- CAD Drafting and Design Technology
- Civil Engineering Drafting and Design
- Mechanical Drafting and Design
Schools with CAD Drafting Programs
The following list includes a number of public schools that offer undergraduate certificates, diplomas, and associate's degrees in CAD drafting.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Northern Virginia Community College||Annandale, VA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $5,138; Out-of-state $11,055|
|College of Southern Nevada||Las Vegas, NV||4-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $2,805; Out-of-state $9,450|
|Pima Community College||Tucson, AZ||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $1,974; Out-of-state $8,610|
|Santa Ana College||Santa Ana, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $1,142; Out-of-state $6,902|
|Indiana University - Purdue University - Indianapolis||Indianapolis, IN||4-year, Public||Associate's||In-state $9,056; Out-of-state $29,774|
|Salt Lake Community College||Salt Lake City, UT||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $3,569; Out-of-state $11,337|
|Long Beach City College||Long Beach, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $1,182; Out-of-state $7,398|
|Minnesota State College Southeast||Winona, MN||2-year, Public||Certificate, Diploma, Associate's||$5,618|
|Palomar College||San Marcos, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $1,338; Out-of-state $7,078|
Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES); School websites
School Selection Criteria
Consider the following when looking for CAD drafting schools:
- Before selecting a school and program, prospective CAD designers should decide if they would like to enter a general or specialized drafting program.
- Some programs prepare students for voluntary certification through the American Design Drafting Association (ADDA), which may translate to an advantage when job hunting.
- It is important to select a program that uses the latest software.
- Program costs vary based on the length of the program and type of school; some schools offer tuition discounts to local and in-state or in-district students.
A number of 2- and 4- year colleges and universities offer CAD design programs where students can opt to pursue an associate's degree, diploma, or certificate in this field. Program lengths and costs vary based on the type of credentials pursued and whether the school is a public or private college.