Certified Plastic Surgery Nurse Education Requirements
Plastic surgery nurses require significant formal education. Learn about degree programs, job duties and certification requirements to see if this is the right career for you.
Registered nurses (RNs) with experience in plastic surgery have the option of earning professional certification as certified plastic surgery nurses. To become an RN, they must complete a diploma, associate's or bachelor's degree program in nursing and gain RN licensing in their state. After gaining at least two years of experience in plastic surgery nursing, they can take the voluntary plastic surgery nursing certification examination. Some nurses also pursue specialty training in plastic surgery nursing through a postgraduate program.
|Required Education||Diploma, associate's or bachelor's degree in nursing|
|Requirements for Certification||RN license and two years of experience as a plastic surgery nurse, including 1,000 practice hours over two of the past three years|
|Projected Job Growth (2012-22)||19% (for all RNs)*|
|Median Salary (2013)||$66,220 (for all RNs)*|
Sources: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
Plastic Surgery Nurse Certification Requirements
Voluntary certification for plastic surgery nurses is offered by the Plastic Surgical Nursing Certification Board, part of the American Society of Plastic Surgical Nurses. To be eligible to test for national recognition as a Certified Plastic Surgical Nurse (CPSN), applicants must meet three criteria. First, they must have current licensure as an RN in either the United States or Canada. Also, during two of the past three years, applicants must have at least 1,000 hours of experience in plastic surgical nursing as an RN, either in general staff, administration, research or teaching. They need at least two years total of plastic surgical experience.
Becoming an RN
To become an RN, students must earn a diploma, a 2-year associate's degree or a 4-year bachelor's degree in nursing. These programs often include studies in anatomy and physiology, biology, health assessment and basic pharmacology, as well as numerous supervised clinical experiences.
Every state requires prospective nurses to undergo licensing before they are allowed to practice in a hospital or other health care facility. In addition to meeting education requirements, RN applicants must pass the National Council Licensure Examination -Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN). Other requirements vary by state.
Plastic Surgery Nursing Courses
Full programs in reconstructive or plastic surgery nursing aren't available; however, courses in this specialty are often included in postgraduate RN First Assistant and nurse practitioner programs.
Students in these classes learn to conduct pre- and post-operative assessments, observe plastic surgery patients' recovery and provide patients with pre- and post-operative instructions. Specific topics covered in plastic surgery nurse training might include the following:
- Burns and plastic surgery nursing
- Liposuction nursing procedures
- Aftercare for reconstructive surgery to the head and neck
- Recovery and care for breast augmentation
- Nursing techniques for abdomen patients
- Medical terminology in plastic surgery nursing
Related to Certified Plastic Surgery Nurse
- Recently Updated
Learn about training programs and certification options in plastic surgery nursing. Read on for info about prerequisites,...
Get information on bachelor's degrees in nursing and how registered nurses can work in the cosmetic surgery field. Learn about...
A plastic surgery nurse practitioner requires significant formal education. Learn about the degree programs, job duties and...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a cosmetic surgery nurse. Get a quick view of the salary as well as...
- Schools for Aspiring Plastic Surgery Professionals
- Plastic Surgery Degree Program Information
- Become a Plastic Surgery Technician: Education and Career Roadmap
- Career Information for a Degree in General Studies
- How to Balance Human Rights Advocacy with Student Life: Girls Learn International Founder Jordana Confino Talks to Study.com
- Student Coordinator Erika Williams Talks Alternative Spring Break with Study.com
- Environmental Chemist: Education and Career Information
- Plastic Surgery Nursing: Job Description & Career Requirements
- Schools for Aspiring Certified Nurse Anesthetists
- Electromechanical Repair Technician: Job Description and Requirements
- Open Education Around the World: Study.com Speaks with the University of Cape Town
- Saving Young Lives: Study.com Speaks with the Founder of Homeboy Industries